Today i have for you all simple ,healthy and very nutritious ” Drumstick leaves stir fry recipe ” . Drumstick leaves are so rich in iron and calcium that it is very healthy to have it often. It also tastes good too. It tastes n smells heavenly . Enjoy this South Indian style drumstick leaves stir fry with dal / rasam etc .
Drumstick leaves are very very healthy .In kannada its known as nugge soppu . They have many health benefits such as strengthening of bones, boosting immunity,good for lowering blood pressure , good for lactating mothers ,good for diabetic etc . One can include drumstick leaves in stir fry , dal , roti , adai , etc . But the major headache of these tiny leaves is separating them from the stalk . As a result many people avoid buying it thinking of the work involved in cleaning it . Once that is done , including it in our diet is not a problem at all .True , cleaning process is a bit messy and time consuming but then end result and the health quotient deserves it. Actually there is an easy method to remove the leaves . Roll the drumstick leaves in a newspaper and leave it in the fridge overnight/ few hours. Later you will find that most of the leaves have shed by themselves and beyond that it is easy to clean.
So are you ready to make a note of drumstick leaves stir fry recipe with step by step photos .. here you go ..
DRUMSTICK LEAVES STIR FRY / NUGGE SOPPINA PALYA
- 2 cup Drumstick leaves / nugge soppu
- 2-3 tbsp Moong Dal / split green gram
- 3-4 Green Chilli Slit
- 2-3 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 1 broken Red Chilli
- 1-2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Separate the leaves from the stalk and wash it thoroughly . Roughly chop them ( optional )
- Heat oil in a kadai . Add oil , mustard seeds , urad dal and allow it to splutter . Later add curry leaves , broken red chilli , moong dal and turmeric . Saute for 2-3 mins
- Then add drumstick leaves , green chilli and salt to taste . Saute for 1-2 mins and add little water . Cook and cover till leaves are tender
- When the leaves are cooked , finally add grated coconut , mix and saute for 1-2 mins till there is no water .
- Simple and healthy drumstick leaves stir fry is ready . Enjoy it with dal / rasam / curd rice etc .
- Easy method to separate leaves from stalk is wrap drumstick leaves in a paper and keep it aside for few hours / overnight . Upon opening .. you will see that most of the leaves have already separated from the stalk !!
- Use the fresh leaves .. else they might be little bitter
- To the above stir fry .. if you want you can add some onion too . Saute along with dal .
- No need to soak moong dal ... just wash and add . Usually moong cooks soon compared to other dal and more over we dont want moong dal to fully cook for this dish .. 75- 80 % cooked is ok ...