Today i have for you all a classic curry from North India ” Dum Aloo Recipe ” . Dum aloo is basically fried baby potatoes marinated and simmered in a creamy delicious yogurt based gravy . It is very popular in Kashmir , Punjab and other North Indian states . Making this restaurant style Punjabi Dum aloo at home is very easy . Tastes great for a weekend meal along with some Roti / Naan / jeera rice etc .
Typically to make Dum aloo .. baby potatoes are deep fried and later simmered in gravy. But at home .. obviously, we don’t prefer to eat the high calorie-laden dishes .. so as an alternative .. I shallow fry semi cooked baby potatoes. But trust me taste wise there is no compromise .. it’s so delightful. Simple to make and tasty to taste. I don’t know about the authenticity of the recipe as I learnt it from a cooking show .. but taste wise its no less than served in any restaurants. Do try .. I am very very sure you will love it. So are you ready to see how to make Dum aloo at home with step by step pictures ..
DUM ALOO RECIPE / RESTAURANT PUNJABI DUM ALOO RECIPE
- 1/2 kg Baby Potato
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
For masala ( to grind)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 1 Green Cardamom / Elaichi
- 1 piece Cinnamon stick /dalchini
- 2-3 Cloves/ Lavang
- a small piece Mace / javitri
- 10-12 Cashew
- 2-3 medium size Onions Sliced
- 8-10 flakes Garlic cloves
- 2 inch chopped ginger
- 2-3 medium size tomato diced
- 2 tbsp Oil
For the curry
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Bay leaf / Tej patta
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- 1-2 tsp Red chilli powder as per your preference
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Roasted Cumin powder / Jeera powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1/2 cup curd
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- Salt to taste
- few Chopped coriander leaves
Preparation of potatoes / aloo
- Wash and pressure cook baby potato in a cooker for 2 whistles adding around 2 cups of water.Take care not to over cook potatoes . When the pressure releases ,drain the excess water and de skin the potatoes .
- Prick the boiled potatoes with a fork . This will help in the spices and flavors to get into the potatoes .
- Add little red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt into boiled potatoes.Mix it properly
- Now , heat a pan . Add around 2 tbsp cooking oil and shallow fry it on medium heat for 2-3 minutes till it turns golden in color and looks roasted.
- Remove in a plate .
Preparation of the Masala
- To the same pan add another 2 tbsp oil . Add saunf and whole garam masala( ie cardamom , cinnamon , cloves and mace ) .Fry it for few seconds, add cashew nut and saute for few more seconds.
- Add chopped ginger , garlic and onion to the pan and saute till onions are soft and translucent . Add tomatoes ,salt and saute till tomatoes are mushy . Turn off the flame, let the fried ingredients cool down.
- Transfer into a blending jar and blend it into smooth paste (do not add water).Keep the ground masala aside .
Time to mix masala n prepared aloo together
- Heat the same pan, add oil .Once oil is hot add bay leaf and cumin seeds to it. Let it splutter .
- Add red chilli powder and turmeric powder into the hot oil .This helps in giving nice and rich colour to the gravy.Add the ground masala paste and fry it for 1-2 minute on medium flame.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder ,black pepper powder and kasoori methi into the masala .Mix it and fry the masala nicely till the oil separates.
- At this point add curd . Simmer the flame , whisk the curd and slowly add it into the pan. Stir continuously.Fry the masala on low flame for 1-2 minute, til raw smell of curd goes . Later add 1 cup of water salt to taste and mix .
- Add the fried potatoes and garam masala into the gravy mix .Cover the pan and let the gravy come to boil. Let it simmer for 5-8 mins. If required add some more water ( the gravy will thicken more as it cools ) . Finally add coriander leaves and and turn off the flame.
- Delicious creamy dum aloo is ready to serve with roti,naan, jeera rice ,rice etc