Today i have for you all an easy and healthy laddu made from Sesame seeds .. that’s ” Ellu Unde / Til ladoo recipe / Ellu urundai / Sesame seeds ladoo ” . It’s also known as Chigali in Kannada. Made from just 2-3 ingredients these til ladoo taste yumm !! In South India Til ladoo is prepared especially during festivals like Krishna Janmashtami , Nagarapanchami , Ganesh Chaturthi etc . .These ladoos are ghee-less which might be a great news for weight watchers ! Now yo u know why i like til ladoos .. 🙂
Black and white sesame seeds are two different varieties of sesame seed and have slightly different flavors. While the black variety is nuttier with a slight bitter after note, white ones are milder.These seeds are a very good source of copper, magnesium and calcium. Also,they are a heat generating food and hence good to be part of the cold season diet . Most of us usually ignore the black sesame seeds and opt for the white ones may be for the reason that the white ones look and taste better than the black seeds. But the black sesame seeds are more nutritious than the white ones. This til ladoo recipe uses black ones . Its the most simplest recipe with minimal ingredients & minimal efforts as well .. but ,the key to their success is in handling the jaggery syrup correctly .Do try them and enjoy …
- 1 cup Black sesame seeds / til
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 1 tsp Ghee, optional
- Dry roast the sesame seeds on low flame till it crackles and releases nice aroma. Do not over roast it, otherwise, it tastes bitter. Allow it to cool.
- Take 1/4 glass of water and jaggery in a thick bottomed vessel and bring it to boil. Keep stirring in low flame until the syrup is thick and sticky.
- IMPORTANT STEP To check syrup : To test jaggery syrup readiness - Keep a small plate/cup with cold water ready by stove side.When you take a bit of hot syrup and put it in water, you should be able to make a ball of it. Then the syrup is ready .
- Once the syrup is ready, set aside for few minutes and allow it cool a bit.
- When the syrup cools but is till warm, add the roasted sesame seeds and mix well .
- Grease your hands , take a spoonful of the mixture,tightly press the mixture and make small balls.
- Your black beauties are ready .When cold, store in an air tight container. These laddus will be harder and crisp ,unlike the typical soft laddus.Enjoy these laddus as a healthy dessert or as a healthy snack !!!
- If the black sesame are old, it might not crackle properly. If its not crackled properly, laddus give a raw taste.
- While dry roasting the sesame seeds, sprinkle few drops of water to the seeds.It avoids them from jumping out of the kadai .
- dry roast sesame seeds on low flame else they might burn and taste bitte
- If you want , you can add 1-2 tsp of ghee to the syrup.
- If you are a beginner , you might find it difficult to roll laddus . So to ease things , after roasting .. you can pulse them a bit in mixer and later add to the jaggery syrup . Making laddus later becomes more easier .
- You need to be very quick