Today i am sharing Millets pongal / Foxtail millets pongal recipe with step by step pictures. In kannada Foxtail millets pongal is known as Navane Pongal . This pongal is very easy to prepare , tastes delicious and super healthy .. a great dish to include millets in our diet .
Pongal is no knew for any South Indian. Its one of the most famous breakfast items especially in Tamilnadu. Normally pongal is made from rice but one can make it replacing rice with various healthy substitutes .
In my blog i have shared previously pongal made from cracked wheat and pongal made from poha .. and today it’s time for foxtail millets pongal . With the same recipe .. you can replace foxtail millet with any other available millet and the result is same . Ya just that soaking / cooking time you might have to alter accordingly . Millets pongal is a great one pot meal that is filling and comforting.
Check Out the Millets Pongal Video recipe here :
Foxtail Millet Pongal Recipe / Navane pongal - How to make Millets Pongal
- 1 cup Foxtail millet / Navane/ any millet
- 1/2 cup Green gram / split moong dal
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee / Oil / ghee + oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin /Jeera
- a big pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 1-2 no broken Red Chilli
- 3-4 slit Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp crushed pepper
- 1 tsp Ginger, grated / finely chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Haldi turmeric
- few Cashews
- grated dry cococonut / kopra, optional
- Salt to taste
- Clean , wash and soak foxtail millet for an hour or so
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee , add mustard seeds, cumin seeds .When it crackles , add red chilli,crushed pepper,hing and curry leaves. Add ginger, green chilli and haldi. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add moong dal to the tempering. Fry for 3-4 mins till moong dal is aromatic.
- Add soaked drained millets and saute for 2-3 mins
- Add water and salt.Mix well and close the cooker lid.Let it cook for 3 whistles .Switch off the flame and wait till the pressure releases.
- Once the pressure releases, open the lid and mix well. Finally garnish with fried cashews, roasted kopra ( optional ) and a tsp of ghee.
- Relish healthy and tasty Spicy foxtail millet pongal with coconut chutney or tamarind gojju ( a kind of dip or sauce ).