Today’s recipe is a fulfilling healthy dish that is loaded high on nutrition and low on calories..a perfect choice for all those who are looking for a healthy wholesome quick breakfast/dinner recipe. That’s ” Foxtail Millets Upma / Navane Upma / Thinai Upma ”. Navane uppittu or foxtail millet upma recipe explained with step by step pictures.It is simple in preparation .Addition of veggies makes it colorful,more nutritious and more yummy…
Fox tail millet is known as Thinai in tamil, Navane in Kannada, korralu in telugu,Thina in Malayalam .
After receiving green signal for my kodo millet dosa and idly , little millet upma , millet pongal … i am trying various millet recipes these days. So this time i tried another safe recipe using little millet .
Since everyone loves upma in my home , i knew this too would be accepted without a fuss . Foxtail millet upma tasted almost like regular upma but health wise its way way nutritious . Though I have used Navane or Foxtail millet in this recipe, you can replace it by any other millets. Since we are making in pressure cooker , it gets cooked easily without a fuss.
Few points to note while making Foxtail Upma :
- Always soak foxtail millets for minimum 30 mins before using it for upma. This way,millets will get cooked nicely , soft and not dry chewy.
- For 1 cup foxtail millets i usually use 2-2.5 cup water. 1: 2 -2.5 propitiation.
- You can make it with veggies or without . Addition of veggies makes it more tasty, healthy and full filling.
If you are trying to implement millets in your diet, do try it once, you will definitely make it again and again…
Foxtail Millet / Navane upma
- 1 cup Foxtail millet / Navane
- 2-2.5 cup Water
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies, (Beans,Carrot,Peas etc ) ( Optional ) finely Chopped
- 2-4 Green Chillies, Chopped
- Few Coriander leaves, Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- to taste Salt
- 2-3 tbsp grated coconut, optional
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- a pinch Turmeric / Haldi powder
- few Curry Leaves
- Rinse the foxtail millet and soak in water for 10-15 mins . Drain water and keep aside
- Take a pan add oil and heat. Add chana dal, urad dal and mustard. Fry till they turn golden brown and mustard splutters.Later add curry leaves,onion and green chilli . Saute for a minute or two till the onion turns slight pink. Add chopped tomatoes .
- Add finely chopped mixed veggies. Add some salt ,turmeric and saute for 3-4 mins.
- To that add water .Keep the flame on medium high and bring to boil .
- When the water starts to boil add foxtail millet, lemon and remaining salt.Mix well.Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame . Alternatively, you can pressure cook for 2 whistles too
- Once foxtail millet is cooked ( until all the water has been absorbed by the millet and feels cooked and looks grainy ) add coriander leaves and coconut (optional) . Toss once and switch off.
- Serve Foxtail millet / Navane upma hot as such or with chutney .