Green tomato chutney recipe with step by step photos | Green tomato chutney North Karnataka style | Tomato kai chutney | kayi tomato chutney | Thakkali Kai chutney
Green Tomato Chutney or Kai Tomato Chutney is a delicious North Karnataka style chutney made from Raw green tomatoes, peanuts and green chilli. They are tangy, spicy, super easy to make and so delicious. Makes for a great accompaniment when relished with some ubbu rotti , Bhakri , Chapathi, dosa or even rice. Hot rice, tomato chutney and some ghee drizzled on top .. so yumm !!
Hero of the day for today’s chutney is raw green tomatoes. This chutney has been sitting in my draft since last summer, as that’s when Green tomatoes are abundantly available in the market. The raw green tomatoes are usually very tart in taste as compared to Ripe Red Tomatoes and hence no extra tamarind has been added to it. However, if you feel, your chutney is not tangy enough, please feel free to add a small piece of tamarind to balance the taste.
I had earlier shared green tomato curry and today let’s see how to make chutney out of it.
Few simple points to note while making this Green Tomato Chutney recipe are as follows :
- Please feel free to skip onions and garlic if you want to make a no onion-garlic version. Instead, you can add extra hing and little jeera while roasting, for flavor.
- Increase or decrease the green chillies according to your spice level. Traditionally, they are made spicy with a tinge of tanginess and sweetness.
- Addition of tamarind and jaggery is optional.
- You can add or skip roasted sesame seeds. Instead of sesame seeds you can use gurellu ( niger seeds ) for more authentic North Karnataka touch.
- Peanuts are a must as they give nice nutty taste and body to the chutney.
- Lastly, Don’t grind the chutney too smooth. Small bits of tomatoes and chillies here and there makes it interesting and tastier.
Do try this chutney for sure … off to the recipe !!
Green Tomato Chutney
- 2-3 nos Green tomatoes , diced
- 1/2 Onion, sliced
- 3-4 flakes Garlic
- 5-6 nos Green chillies , adjust to taste
- few Curry leaves
- few strands Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Peanuts
- 1 tbsp White Sesame seeds / til
- 1 teaspoon Jaggery , optional
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- few Curry leaves
- a big pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- Wash and dice green tomatoes.
- Heat oil in a pan . Add few curry leaves , garlic and onion slices . Saute them 2-3 mins till onions are soft and raw smell of onion garlic goes.
- Next add , Tomato and green chillies. Saute for around 5-8 mins . Let the tomatoes get nicely cooked and onions are charred a bit .
- Add few sprigs of curry leaves, toss once and switch off. Let the tomatoes and other ingredients cool before grinding. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, in a different pan, dry roast peanuts. Once the peanuts are crisp, add sesame seeds and roast till they splutter.
- Transfer roasted peanuts and sesame seeds into a mixer jar once they cool. Pulse smooth.
- Once peanut and sesame are powdered, add tomato onion chilli mix, salt to taste, jaggery ( optional).
- Grind them coarse. Yes, note that we should not make chutney super smooth like a paste. No need to add water while grinding.
- For the tadka,heat 2-3 spoon oil.Splutter mustard , urad dal. Add curry leaves and hing.Pour the tadka over the tomato chutney.
- Enjoy Green Tomato chutney with Rice , bhakri , ubbu rotti ,chapathi , Dosa .