GUJRATI MANGO KADHI RECIPE | HOW TO DO GUJRATI STYLE MANGO KADHI | FAJETO RECIPE | HOW TO DO GUJRATI FAJETO
Today I have a classic dish from Gujrati cuisine, summer special – ” Ripe Mango Kadhi / Fajeto “. It is basically a ripe mango, besan and yoghurt based curry that is flavoured with basic spices to give a creamy, tangy, spicy, little sweetish, bursting with flavour. I tell you… though it’s a very very simple dish with just a few ingredients … taste wise its an absolute finger-licking lip-smacking curry.
I got to know last year about this dish when I had visited the mango festival special dinner at Rajdhani hotels. The first spoon of it and I immediately loved it. It tasted amazingly delicious..little like our coastal speciality mango sasime and I was curious to know it’s recipe . Upon asking the chef was sweet enough to share the authentic recipe.
Typically use little sour type mangoes for it. In case your mangoes are very sweet and not sour, no problem .. you can still make this Gujrati Fajeto. Just use sour curd. The sourness of the yogurt balances the sweetness of the mangoes and gives a perfect taste.
The tempering added towards the end to this Mango kadi .. lifts the dish to a new level. I had earlier shared raw mango kadhi which is equally tasty and today it’s time for Gujrati ripe Mango kadhi with step by step photos.
So next time you get some sour mangoes.. you know what to do .. isn’t it ?? Do Try this and make your family drool after relishing this lip-smacking, finger-licking tangy, spicy little sweetish ripe mango gojju . I bet they will surely ask for an extra serving of rice to relish this curry … Here you go …
GUJRATI MANGO KADHI RECIPE / FAJETO
- 1 no Ripe mango, little sour preferred
- 1 cup curd
- 2-3 tablespoon Chickpea flour/ Besan
- 1/2 inch Ginger piece
- 2-3 nos Green chilies
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder /Haldi
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tsp Ghee / oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds /methi
- a big pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 1 no Red Chilli, broken
- 1/2 tsp Chilli Powder
- Peel and slice the mango into large chunks.
- Next , nicely squeese the mango seeds in water to extract maximum pulp. Keep this water aside and later to the khadi
- Blend Mango, Besan, curd/buttermilk, ginger and green chillies in a blender
- Make a smooth paste to make a lump-free .
- Add the blended mango curd paste to a Kadai or pan. Add 2-3 cups of water, turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt.stir everything very well.
- Simmer the flame and boil the kadhi well for 15-20 mins stirring it intermittently. Taste test and check consistency. Add salt/water if required .. mix.
- Prepare a tempering. heat oil/ghee. Splutter mustard and methi seeds. Add hing, broken red chilli and switch off. Add red chilli powder. If ghee is very hot, chilli powder will get burnt taste... hence always add when oil is not too hot.
- Pour the tempering over raw mango kadhi. Mix and allow kadhi to sit for 3-4 mins.
- Enjoy ripe mango Kadhi with hot rice .... tangy and little sweetish tastes so good.