Hagalakayi Palya Recipe | How to do Karnataka style Bitter gourd stir fry Recipe | Hagalkayi Palya recipe with step by step photo | Bitter Gourd Stir fry Recipe
Here I’m today with a dish – Hagalkayi Palya / Bitter Gourd Stir Fry – made from one of the most hated Veggie Bitter Gourd . Bitter gourd Stir fry has a special taste, a combination of sweet, tangy, spicy and a light touch of bitterness. Tastes amazing with hot rice ( drizzle few drops ghee / oil ) , curd rice , dosa , coorgi rotti etc .
I agree Bitter gourd is one of those vegetables which many of them hate because of its bitterness. But i think cooking with bitter gourd is an art and when cooked right with right ingredients it really tastes good .Actually bitter gourd recipes get unique taste by inheriting bitterness itself.From health benefits perspective bitter is also better.Bitter gourd is one among the healthiest vegetable.You can see health benefits of Bitter gourd here , so that all those self confessed bitter gourd hater out there would be inspired to give this veggie a try .But thank God , in my home, everyone loves bitter gourd and its diverse dishes. I have shared couple of recipes using this veggie in my blog before like Bitter gourd chutney , Bitter gourd pachadi , bitter gourd gojju and today its time for bitter gourd stir fry . Do try these eay and quick side dish …
HAGALKAYI PALYA RECIPE / BITTER GOURD STIR FRY RECIPE / KARELA SABZI
- 2 - 3 medium nos Bitter Gourd / Karela)
- 1 medium size onion
- 1 no tomato
- 1 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 1 tsp Rasam powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- small Amla size gooseberry Tamarind
- Amla size Jaggery
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Channa Dal / bengal gram
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- a pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 nos Red Chilli broken
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut Oil / Any oil
- Wash the bitter gourd, cut it lengthwise . I like to retain over riped crunchy seeds too . It tastes good after taking in all masala .Chop it to small pieces. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to bitter gourd slices and mix well. Keep it aside for 30 to 40 mins. Bitter Gourd would have left some water. Discard it. Again sprinkle little water , mix and squeeze the bitter gourd slices with your hand. This helps to reduce the bitterness of bitter gourd. This step is optional . If you are ok with the bitterness , you can skip it .
- Next take oil in a frying pan and heat it. Add in mustard seeds , urad dal and channa dal . Once it splutters add cumin seeds , hing , red chilli and curry leaves .
- Later , add in chopped bitter gourd. Fry for 2-3 mins on medium flame.
- Later add onion , tomato , turmeric and salt . Saute for another 2-3 mins .
- Next add tamarind water , jaggery , rasam powder and chilli powder . Give it a nice mix . Cover and cook the bitter gourd on low ,medium flame . If required add little water . Cook till bitter gourd is cooked . Later remove the cover , add a tsp oil and saute till all water has dried out .
- That's it Bitter gourd stir fry is ready to relish . Enjoy with hot rice / curd rice / coorgi rotti / chapathi etc
- Marinating bitter gourd slices in salt and turmeric and later squeezing out helps in reducing bitter ness .
- If you want .. can skip onion . Can add 2-3 tsp grated coconut .