Today i present to you a delicious traditional sweet of Karnataka – ” Halubai / Halbai ” . Halbai is a type halwa /burfi /fudge , which can be prepared from rice/wheat/ragi/poha/rava. They taste like halwa but are served in the shape of burfis and are very tooth friendly.Today i would be sharing rice halbai.
Though making this traditional sweet requires only a few ingredients, but its considered a quiet tedious process.If the ingredients are not as per proportion / right consistency is not achieved they turn sticky.I don’t feel they are very tough to make but the only boring thing is you need to constantly keep on stirring them .It calls for your undivided attention.As the mixture thickens,it gets harder to stir.But trust me the end result would be great .I have shared another variation on Halbai .. ie Rava mango Halbai and today it’s akki halbai . Don’t go by its appearance.. Halbai is not at all a colorful dish.. nor photogenic 🙂 … I’ve tried to add some color to the dish by making the background colorful …The full recipe is here and I hope you enjoy this classic Rice Halbai recipe with step by step pics ..
Check Out the Video recipe here :
HALUBAI / HALBAI
- 1 cup Rice ( normal rice )
- 3/4 cup coconut Grated
- 3/4 - 1 cup Jaggery (can add more if you have a sweet tooth )
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 3 - 4 nos Cardamom
- 3 cup Water including the amount used for grinding
- Soak rice for about 2-4 hours.
- Grind rice,coconut ,jaggery , salt and cardamom to a very fine paste by adding little water.
- Transfer the batter to a nonstick kadai / heavy bottom kadai. Add remaining quantity of water. Total for 1 cup of water we need 3 cup of water .. ie 1: 3 proportion . The batter should be like thin like neer dosa batter consistency .
- Keep on low-medium flame and stir the mixture continuously ensuring that no lumps are formed.
- Add ghee in steps and continue stirring the mixture till it forms a mass of ball and starts leaving the sides of kadai. This will take about 15-20 mins.
- Grease a plate with ghee and transfer the mass to the plate .Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula and smoothen the surface.
- Once warm,cut halbai into desired shape and serve warm /cold.Can be stored for 4 days if refrigerated. ..
- You can replace rice with wheat /ragi /poha/rava.
- Before taking it off the pan, do a test.Take a tsp of mix and spread it on a greased plate. It should be able to come off without sticking .Then its done. or You can also test it this way: if you touch a tsp of mix with wet hands, it should not stick. Then its done.