Homemade Pongal Mix Recipe | How to pongal mix | Instant ready to make POngal mix recipe | Homemade pongal mix recipe with step by step pics
- Are you travelling out of country and want to be safe carrying your own food?
- Is your bachelor son/daughter going away from home for studies/work? Worried about their food?
- Are you leaving your novice, busy hubby back home?
- Are you looking for some handy options to fix breakfast in a jiffy?
The solution to all the above situations lies in my today’s post ” Homemade Pongal Mix Recipe ” .. a perfect bachelor friendly , travel-friendly and quick fix recipe. It is simple yet delicious . I always love to stock this instant mix in my pantry as its very handy for busy mornings. It’s also a great option to carry along while travelling especially if you are in a foreign country and you are a vegetarian finding a veg food option in foreign countries could be a tough time. In those situations, this Instant Pongal Mix could be a great help and give us some satisfaction of home cooked food within mins.
Now a days in market you can see so many ready to eat packets.Though we all know these colorful tetra packs are filled with preservatives .. we end up buying as the word “Instant” / ” Ready To Eat ” attracts us . Let me tell you making them at home is so simple , easy and delicious too . Plus homemade is zero preservatives…. make once and sit back relaxed for next few days .
I always pack this instant poha mix, instant Poha Mix , gojjavalakki mix , Upma mix etc to my hubby when he is travelling abroad. He takes one ,electric kettle with him which is quiet handy . He just have to add hot water in the ready pongal mix and cook it for 10 -15 mins and delicious Pongal is ready . That happy feeling when you get to eat fresh homemade food taste when away from home ..!!
Few things to note while making Instant Pongal Mix
- To make ready pongal mix in large quantity , increase the ingredients proportionately.
- Always pack pongal mix only after it has cooked nicely .
- Also for a good shelf life handle clean dry spoons
So are you ready to see how to make Instant Pongal mix … Here you go ..
INSTANT PONGAL MIX - HOMEMADE PONGAL MIX
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/4 cup moong dal
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Hing /Asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorns, slightly crushed
- few Cashew nuts, broken into half
- 1-2 nos Dry red Chilies, broken into small pieces
- 1 tsp Ginger, finely chopped / grated
- 2-4 nos Green Chilli, finely chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 2-3 tbsp Oil / ghee / oil + ghee mix
- Salt to taste
- Keep all the ingredients ready ... broken cashew , broken red chilli, crushed pepper, finely chopped chilli, finely chopped ginger , chopped curry leaves
- Heat oil / oil + ghee in a kadai. Splutter mustard.
- Later add jeera and cashews. Saute till cashew is golden.
- Add all the ingredients shown in pic 1 .. ie broken red chilli, crushed pepper, finely chopped chilli, finely chopped ginger , chopped curry leaves and also add haldi and hing . Saute nicely on medium low flame till chilli and curry leaves are nicely crisped . Else the shelf life of the pongal mix will reduce .
- After chilli and curry leaves are crisp add rice and moong . Mix and sute well for 6-7 mins . Let dal get aromatic. Switch off and add salt after it cools .
- Instant ready to make travel-friendly Pongal mix is ready.
- Store in ziplock or airtight container and use Pongal mix as and when required. Stays good for 1-2 months without fridge and if kept in fridge should last easily for 6 months or more when handles carefully.
- To do Pongal from ready mix: Boil 4 cup water in a pressure cooker. Add 1 cup Pongal mix. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Pongal is ready in 5 mins .. you just have to wait for cooker to cool. 🙂 As easy as making Maggi right.Same way .. instead of cooker you can do using an electric kettle also.