“ Horse Gram Chutney Powder ” a flavorful powder that’s a perfect accompaniment for almost all South Indian breakfast be it with Idli / Dosa / Paniyaram / rotti etc . Chutney powder is one of the quiet essential item that would be stocked in almost all South Indian pantry’s . Since we like variety in them .. i thought of sharing healthy Horse gram chutney powder / Huruli Chutney pudi ( as called in Karnataka ) / Kollu podi ( Tamil ) . Its a life saver on those busy mornings,lazy mornings,when you don’t have time/mood to prepare chutneys.
There are so many variations for chutney pudis and each one has a unique taste according to its preparation which varies from home to home and state to state..I have already shared in my blog many different types of chutney powder like Regular chutney powder , peanut powder , curry leaves powder etc and today its time for horse gram chutney powder .Horse gram is a kind of bean which is a good source of iron,protein and has lots of health benefits such as reducing cholesterol,helps in weight reduction and remedy for cold and cough. This horse gram chutney powder is a simple recipe where in the horse gram and lentil are coarsely powdered and spiced and flavored up making them taste spicy,sweet,sour and salty .Of course , they are easily available in stores, but i hope you spare few minutes to make them at home as nothing can beat the healthy ,fresh aromatic ones prepared at home…
HORSE GRAM CHUTNEY POWDER / HURULI CHUTNEY PUDI / KOLLU PODI
- 1 Cup Horse Gram / Huruli
- 1/4 Cup Black Gram /split Urad Dal
- 1/4 Cup Dry Coconut / Kopra
- 1/4 Cup Red Chilli, Guntur / spicy variety
- 1 cup Red Chilli, Byadgi / Kasmiri chilli
- big lemon size Tamarind, Cut to small piece
- few Curry Leaves
- small piece Jaggery, Optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Haldi turmeric
- 1 tsp Hing /Asafoetida
- 2-4 tbsp sunflower oil /Coconut Oil
- In a frying pan or kadai on medium low heat, dry roasthorse gram until its aromatic and changes its color. Do not over roast . Transfer it to a plate and allow to cool.
- In the same frying pan similarly dry roast , urad dal separately till they are aromatic and light red in color. Transfer them to a plate and allow to cool.
- Next on a low flame in the same frying pan, dry roast kopra till they are little crisp. Transfer it into one more plate.
- Add a teaspoon of oil to the frying pan. Keep the flame on low and roast red chillies. Mid way, add curry leaves, and continue to roast , till both red chillies and curry leaves have turned crisp.Transfer them to the plate containing roasted kopra.
- Finally roast tamarind .Keep the flame on low and roast till they are crisp .Transfer it to the plate having red chillies. Allow everything to cool to room temperature.
- In a blender / mixer , coarsely grind dal .Transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- Next , transfer the mixture of red chillies, curry leaves,tamarind and kopra to the blender. Add salt and jaggery .Make a fine powder.Transfer the powder to the mixing bowl having coarse all dal powder.
- Prepare a tempering. Add oil to the kadai.When its hot, add mustard seeds. When it spluters add hing and haldi. Switch off the flame . Pour the tempering on the horse gram chutney powder. Mix well .Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Lastly run, the hand mixed horse gram chutney powder in a mixer for 1 -2 rounds so that it gets mixed uniformly.
- That's it, tasty Horse gram chutney powder bursting with flavors is ready.Store it in air tight containers and use when required.Tastes best upto 6 months. To serve mix a spoonful of chutney powder with a dash of ghee / butter /coconut oil/ sesame oil /curd and serve as an accompaniment for Idly /Dosa/Paniyaram/Karnataka style rotti/adai / even hot rice
- Always store chutney powder in airtight container. See to it that water or moisture does not enter the container. Else they will. If stored properly, they stay best upto 6 months. No need refrigeration.
- Roasting uniformly is very important.
- In the above , i have used two types of red chillies , as one gives color and the other required spice.Together they compliment well .But you can use 1 type of red chilli too , whichever is available to you. You can also +/- the quantity of red chilli as per your choice.
- You can also use tamarind powder if its available.