Horse Gram Usli Recipe With step by step photos | Huruli Usli | Huruli kalu Palya | Kollu Sundal Recipe | Kulith Usli
Remember my last post of Huruli Saaru / Horse gram Rasam , where I had shared just half the recipe of it and had kept aside cooked horse gram to use later? So as promised, today I am back with part 2 of it – using the cooked horsegram in making this tasty and healthy protein rich side dish ” Horsegram Usli / Huruli Usli“.It’s also known as Kollu sundal in Tamil. Enjoy it as a side dish along with huruli saaru and rice or enjoy just this usli as a snack.
Bassaru made with Horse gram is basically a two in one dish . Here , horsegram is cooked nicely and strained to get a very flavorful broth.The broth is later boiled with freshly ground spices and tempered.The cooked horse gram is then turned into a simple stir-fry (usli) flavored with lots of onion, and grated coconut.
Health Benefits of Horsegram ?
Horse gram is a power house for protein, iron and calcium. It is rich in anti-oxidants. Good as diabetic friendly and weight loss food. It has the ability to reduce cholesterol. It has been used in treating irregular periods and excessive bleeding.
Horse Gram is gaining popularity as an option for weight-loss diets.This usli serves as a healthy warm and very filling salad , power packed with nutrients. Do try and enjoy !!
Few points to note while making Horse gram Usli:
- You can make this usli with sprouted horsegram too.Tastes really good and more nutritious . It’s known as molake hurli kalu palya in Karnataka.
- If you don’t want to make rasam and just the usli , you can still. Just cook horsegram without adding too water .
- Don’t over cook horsegram and make it as a paste.
- Addition of onions is optional but addition of onion enhances taste.
- You can increase the quantity of coconut / chilli / green chilli based on your preferance.
horse gram usli or Huruli usli
- 1 cup Horsegram / Huruli
- 1 big Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3-4 Green Chillies, Finely Chopped
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, Finely Chopped
- 1 Lemon
- 3-4 tbsp Coconut, grated
- tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2-4 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1/2 tsp Channa Dal
- 1 Red Chilli, Broken
- few Curry Leaves
- Clean , Wash horse gram and pressure cook with 6 cups of water in the cooker for 3 whistles on high.Reduce the flame to sim and let it cook for another 2-3 whistles.If you are soaking the horse gram for 3-4 hours and later pressure cooking, then 3-4 whistles on high is enough.
- Let the cooker cool and pressure release naturally. Check if horsegram is well cooked. It must be soft when pressed yet retain shape.
- Drain the cooked horsegram using a colander. Save the broth for making rasam.Keep aside horsegram to make usli.
- In a kadai/pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal. Let they splutter and turn golden.Add few curry leaves,red chilly broken.
- Add finely chopped onions and green chillies . Saute 2-3 mins. Let onions get translucent.
- Next add in the cooked horse gram, sugar ,salt to taste . Mix . Cover and cook for 2-3 mins. Let horsegram take in flavors and salt.
- Lastly squeeze lime , chopped corinader leaves and grated coconut. Mix everything well.
- Horsegram usli or Hurlikalu palya is ready to relish !!