Hmm, much to my disappointment before i could share all the sun dried stuff i did this year , rain is already in Bangalore !! Well . .i want to share atleast this “ Rice Papad recipe / Akki Happala recipe “ with you all .. hoping that its still Summer in some part of the world . I don’t want this post Rice papad recipe to sit in my draft till next year .Made from just few simple ingredients and a little bit of patience, this rice papad is ready to enjoy for over a year !! Serve them as tea time snack for those unexpected guests / pair it with your meal alon with dal chawal or rasam .. whichever way .. these crispy crunchy Rice papad tastes great !!!
Apart from making pickles during summer time, making sandige /vadams /vadis and papads to stock up for the entire year is another big process that would take place at my mom’s house . Though now we get everything ready made .. it can not match the joy and taste of home made . We used to have large tin boxes filled with sun dried products that would last us for months together!I Growing up , I still remember spreading these crispies batter on polythene sheets in large quantities sitting under hot Sun. We didn’t have any summer camps back then and this used to be our favorite pass time of the season . Though the whole process in labour intensive , somehow we still loved it as these are the time whole family would come together . My mom would do the batter , My dad ,brother n I would spread it …chatting about something or the other through out . And the next 2-3 days were like waiting for exam results . ☺ Lol !! the excitement we kids used to have when the first batch of sandige would be fried . Few memories indeed make you feel nostalgic…. I have already shared few papad recipes before like akki peni , poha sandige , sago sandige .. today it’s time for easy rice papad . Spending few hours on these summer spl can benefit you a year and create a lifetime memories for your family . Do give a try .. n YES !! FOR EVERYTHING THERE IS A FIRST TIME !!! Here you go…
How to make Rice Papad / Akki Happala recipe
- 2 cup Rice flour
- 1/4 Cup Sago flour sabudana flour
- 4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Cumin Jeera Seeds
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- In a wide kadai / pan / wok , boil the water along with a tbsp oil and salt to taste.
- When water starts bubbling, keep on sim & dunk in the rice flour ,Sabudana flour , cumin seeds and salt . Do not stir.Leave for 30 seconds.
- Later stir vigorously with a wooden spoon to bring the dough together.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 4-5 minutes.When the dough is still warm , transfer it into a clean polythene cover and knead. refer note no 3
- Knead it nicely to form a very smooth lumpless dough.Dough for Rice papad is ready
- Divide the dough to lemon sized balls .
- There are two ways in which you can proceed next.
- a). Take 1 ball, flatten it a bit and place it in between 2 thick greased plastic sheets and roll gently to form a thin disc.
- b) Alternatively , if you have a roti maker / press , you can keep a ball between the sheets and gently press to get a thin disc .The edges shouldn’t have cracks. That shows how well the dough is kneaded .
- Spread a clean plastic sheet under sun.Lightly grease it with any oil and place stones in the corner.
- Once the papad is ready , transfer them gently to a plastic sheet .Let these papad get dried under bright Sun for 1-2 days .After 1 day , sabakki sandige starts peeling off and looks transparent .Turn ove-r to other side and dry for another 2-3 days.Once the papads are fully dried , store them in an airtight container .Stays good for a year if sundried well .
- Deep fry in oil whenever required . A great life saver when you have unexpected guests . Tastes great with dal chawal / rasam rice or even with a cup of tea .Whichever way .. u r sure gonna ENJOY !!!
- Rice flour to water is always in the ratio of 1:2.
- Dont allow the flour to get too cold while kneading.Knead it when it is manageable hot.Kneading process is very vital.Better you need easier to roll.
- Since we are kneading the dough when its hot only , it would be difficult for us to handle the dough bear hands. Thats why we are putting it in polythene cover and knead later .
- You can also add green chilli paste / chilli flakes / coriander leaves / pudina leaves etc for additional flavour .