Poha and rava are a great lifesaver for mornings when you dont have any dosa or idli batter in stock . There are so many variety of dish that one can put together in a jiffy using these 2 ingredients . At any given time , you can find both poha and rava stocked in my pantry . So today i have for you all ” Tamarind Poha ” one such breakfast dish made from beatern rice . In Kannada and Tamil its known as Huli Avalakki and Puli Aval respectively . Tamarind poha is sweet, tangy, spicy ,very simple yet delicious. Just pair this with a bowl of yogurt and you will have complete and filling meal ready in minutes. I often make it whenever i have to cook in a hurry or i have to cook onion less(during festive times ). In Karnataka, many temples offer it to us as prasadam. I had shared gojjavalakki recipe long back here , huli avalakki differes from that dish slightly in taste . So are you ready to jot down the recipe .. Here you go …
TAMARIND POHA / HULI AVALAKKI / PULI AVAL
- 2 cups Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki Thick variety
- small amla size tamarind water , soaked in warm
- 1 tsp Jaggery ( optional but prefferred )
- 1-2 tsp Rasam powder based on your spice level
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- Salt as needed
- little grated coconut
For the seasoning
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram Chana Dal
- a small pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- few Peanuts as per your pref
- 1 - 2 slit Green Chillies
- Curry Leaves few
- Extract water from the tamrind after soaking in some warm water , around 1 cups.
- Clean wash and drain excess water from the poha. Keep it aside .
- Take a wide pan or kadai . Prepare the seasoning . Add oil . Once hot add mustard seeds,peanuts, channa dal and urad dal . fry till the dal turns golden and peanuts are roasted.
- When done add hing , turmeric, curry leaves and green chilli . Saute for 1-2 mins .
- Now to the tempering add the water extracted from tamarind , salt , jaggery and rasam powder . Give a mix .
- Simmer the flame and let the mix boil well to attain a pulpy semi thick consistency . This may take 3-5 minutes .
- Add washed poha and grated coconut to the tamarind mix.
- Mix everything well so that poha gets coated with the masala well . Gently pat it to level it in the kadai and cook covered in low flame for 3-4 minutes.Taste test . If required add salt . If poha is too dry , if you want you can spinkle few drops of water .
- Thats it Huli Avalakki / Puli Aval / tamarind poha is ready to serve . Relish it hot / warm . I like to sprinkle little sugar on top of it and eat it with little fresh curds on side. See how you like and yes DON'T FORGET TO LET ME KNOW !!
- Poha must be thick type only.
- You can adjust the quantity of tamarind , jaggery , chilli etc based on your taste .
- If you want you can add finally some roasted black sesame . Then it will taste like poha pulihora .
- No need to soak poha in water for a long time . Just wash , drain water and keep aside for 5-10 mins . Since we will cook poha later in the semi thick tamarind mixture , soaking and keeping it will make it mushy .