Instant Poha Mix Recipe / Homemade Instant poha mix recipe | ready to eat Instant Poha mix with detailed step by step photo recipe.
- Are you travelling out of country and want to be safe carrying your own food ?
- Is your bachelor son / daughter going away from home for studies / work ? Worried about their food ?
- Are you leaving your novice , busy hubby back home ?
- Are you looking for some handy options to fix breakfast in a jiffy ?
The solution to all the above situations lies in my today’s post ” Instant Poha Mix / Homemade Ready to eat Instant Poha Mix ” .. a perfect bachelor friendly , travel friendly and quick fix recipe . It is simple yet delicious . I always love to stock this instant mix in my pantry as its very handy for busy mornings . It’s also a great option to carry along while travelling especially if you are in a foreign country and you are a vegetarian finding a veg food option in foreign countries could be a tough time . In those situations , this Instant Poha Mix could be great help and and give us some satisfaction of home cooked food within mins .
Now a days in market you can see so many ready to eat packets .Though we all know these colorful tetra packs are filled with preservatives .. we end up buying as the word “Instant” / ” Ready To Eat ” attracts us . Let me tell you making them at home is so simple , easy and delcious too . Plus homemade is zero preservative …. make once and sit back relaxed for next few days . I always pack this instant poha mix , instant gojjavalakki mix , Upma mix etc to my hubby when he is travelling abroad . He just have to add hot water in the ready poha mix and soft and fluffy Poha is ready in few minutes. So are you ready to see how to make Instant Poha mix … Here you go ..
INSTANT POHA MIX RECIPE / READY TO EAT INSTANT POHA RECIPE
- 4 cups Poha / Beaten Rice / Avalakki, thick variety must
- 3-4 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Urad Dal / split black gram
- 1/2 tsp Benagl gram / chana dal
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- handful Peanuts
- 4-5 nos Green Chillies, finely chopped ; as required
- 2-3 nos Red Chillies, broken
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid crystals /Nimbu ka phool / Nimbu uppu
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt as needed
- few sprig Coriander leaves, chopped
- Clean the poha . Handpick any impurities present .
- Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds, Urad dal, chana dal, peanut .
- When it splutters .Add finely chopped onion , green chilli , broken red chilli , cumin , curry leaves and turmeric powder. Saute for 2-3 mins , let they get crisp .
- Add poha .. combine everything well . Saute for 4-5 min Let poha get nicely crisp . Making it crispy is very important for long shelf life
- Finally add salt , sugar and citric acid . Mix everything well . Allow the instant poha mix to cool . Add finely chopped coriander leaves after cool and combine everything .
- Instant Poha mix is ready . Store them in air tight container / zip lock cover and use as and when required . Stays good easily for 2-3 months without refrigeration .
- To make poha upma with this mix, boil 1.5 cups of water. Add 1 cup of poha mix to it . Let it cook for 1 minute then cover with a lid and switch off the flame keep it covered for 3-5 minutes or till it absorb all the water .Mix well and serve hot !! If you don't have access to microwave or gas , just boil water nicely , add poha to the boiling water and keep it closed for 15 mins till they are fluffy and water has absorbed .
- Always use thick poha for this recipe.Don't use thin variety .
- If you want you can skip finely chopped onion.
- If you have veggies available , you can add at the time of cooking .
- Always roast poha nicely till its crisp for great shelf life .
- Also before adding coriander leaves , let the mix cool completely .
- If you don't have gas / microwave and want to make poha in a Coffe cup / jar .. this is how we can make :Fill the coffee mug / jar with half of poha mix and add hot boiling water over it and cover with a lid and wait for 10 minutes or till it absorb all the water and looks cooked.,open the lid and fluff it with a fork and enjoy hot .