INSTANT RAGI SEVAI | HOW TO DO RAGI SEVAI WITH STEP BY STEP PICS | RAGI SEMIYA RECIPE | HOW TO DO RAGI VERMICELLI | RAGI IDIYAPPAM RECIPE
After I posted the recipe for Instant Lemon sevai, I got many requests to share few more breakfast recipes that can be put together in a jiffy making it apt for busy mornings. As a reply to all those requests, i share today one of the easiest, healthy and hearty filling dish ” Ragi shavige / Ragi Semiya Upma ” made from instant ragi Sevai .I assure, even a beginner can make this dish within 20 mins.
We all are aware that ragi (fingermillet ) is a powerhouse of nutrients.Its oneof the most recommended grain for a healthy living. Its also a buddy for diabetic patients and weight watchers.I incorporate ragi in my dishes in number of ways and happy that everyone likes it in my home including the kids (though the dishes made from ragi are not visually appealing ).
Few Points to note while making Ragi Sevai :
- To cook ragi semiya, follow the instruction as per packet properly.Else it will get mushy.
- The brands of instant ragi vermicelli that im aware of are anil,concorde,manna.. I usually use Anil brand. N im happy with the result.
Ragi semiya can be made in a number of ways. Today I’ll share the simplest savoury ones, made from very few ingredients, apt for perfect breakfast or light dinner.One can make it plain with just onion or add lots of veggies to make it more colorful , healthy and tasty . I’m sure after seeing this recipe, you’l rush to the nearest grocery shop to get hold of these instant Ragi vermicelli..
- 200 gms Ragi semiya /Ragi vermicelli,
- 1 big onion, ; finely chopped
- 3 - 4 nos Green Chillies, - finely chopped
- 2 tbsps grated coconut
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Slit Urad dal /black gram
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal /Bengal Gram
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- Handful Peanut
- few Curry Leaves
- a few spring Coriander leaves,
- 1 - 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 1 - 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt, as per taste
- Soak ragi semiya in enough water for 2 mins.Drain water properly.
- Steam cook ragi semiya in a steamer / idli stand for about 3-5 mins as per package instructions.
- Spread and keep it aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan ,season with mustard seeds,urad dal,chana dal,jeera and peanuts.
- When it splutters add curry leaves,onion,green chilli. Saute till translucent .
- Later add partially cooked choice of veggie like beans , carrot , peas , corn capsicum etc . Little salt and turmeric . Saute for 2-3 mins .
- Finally add cooked ragi semiya and salt, Mix well . Sprinkle little water , cover it and cook for 2-3 mins . Let the vermicelli take in flavor .
- Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves.Add lemon juice .Mix gently. Switch off.
- Thats it Ragi semiya upma is ready .Serve hot as such or with coconut chutney .