Is there any one out there who doesn’t like Iyengar bakery goodies ? I am sure not even a single hand raised . Though there are many bakeries in every nook and corner of Karnataka , Iyengar bakery still remains in the top slot . Iyengar bakery toast, dilpasand , Baked Nipattu,honey cake ,potato bun ,veg puff … are something that will surely pull you towards it . The aroma that spreads when these goodies are getting baked .. aaha.. i am getting nostalgic. So today i have for you all for an iyengar bakery special .. my all time favorite .. ” Khara Biscuit / Masala Biscuit” .They are spicy, mildly sweet , crispy n crumbly … in short ..a perfect tea time snack … Do give a try … i’m sure you can’t stop just for 1 .. Here you go ..
( Recipe source : here )
IYENGAR BAKERY KHARA BISCUIT
- 2 cups All purpose flour maida
- 1/3 cup Butter softened
- 2 - 3 tbsps curd
- 4 tsps Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 5 - 6 Green Chillies, chopped fine[or more,as per your taste]
- 3 tbsps Coriander leaves, Fresh
- few Curry Leaves
- Pulse sugar in a mixer .
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cream together butter and sugar till the sugar dissolves .
- Add in 1.5 tbsp curd and continue beating.
- Add in the swift flour , chopped chillies , coriander leaves , curry leaves . Mix gently using your fingertips or spoon .
- You will observe that the dough is crumbly in texture .In that case add the remaining 1-2 tbsp curd .Gently knead it and make a non-sticky dough.
- Allow the dough to sit for 10-15 mins.Cover the dough and keep .
- Meanwhile preheat the oven for 10 mins at 160 deg.
- After 15 mins , take a big ball of the dough and using a roling pin roll to make a smooth medium thick chapati.
- Now take a cookie cutter or a circular lid , dip into dry flour and cut into small biscuits .You can use any shape of size as per your choice. Gather the remaining scrapings, roll out again and repeat the process till the entire dough gets over.
- Spread a butter paper on the baking sheet and arrange biscuits over it . Using a fork prik the cookies to make wholes.
- Bake them at 180 c or 350 F for 10 mins.After 10 mins , take out the cookies, set the temperature of the oven to 170 C or 325 F and bake for another 8-10 mins or till the cookies become golden brown . Baking at lower temperature makes the cookies crispy.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, allow it to cool completely .Store them in air tight containers and relish !!
- If you want you can use 50 : 50 proportion Maida n wheat flour .ie 1/2 cup maida n 1/2 cup wheat flour. but tastes best when made only with maida.
- I don't add baking soda to these cookies . If you want can add a pinch .
- Always use butter at room temperature.keep it on countertop for min 30 mins before using for making cookie.
- Adjust spicing and flavouring depending on your taste .
- Dont over knead the cookie dough .
- When the bottom of biscuits turn golden brown it shows that the cookies are done.The biscuits may be soft to touch when hot.But when it cools down completely,it will become crunchy.So don't worry and wait till it gets room temperature.