Remember my yesterday’s post of Jackfruit seeds rasam where I had shared just half the recipe of it and had kept aside cooked jack seeds to use later ? So as promised , today i am back with part 2 of it – using the cooked jackfruit seeds in making ” Jackfruit seeds Stir Fry / Halasina beejada Palya ” . This stir fry tastes similar to potato / sweet potato stir fry . My kids love this lip smacking dish in their lunch or even as a snack . Do try this simple ,quick,healthy ,nutritious stir fry… here we go..
JACKFRUIT SEEDS STIR FRY
- 25 - 30 nos Jackfruit Seeds
- 1 medium onion
Spice mix :
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- a pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Sambar powder / rasam powder ( if you want spicy , increase the qty )
- Salt to taste
- 3 - 4 teaspoons Coconut Oil / Any oil ( coconut oil pref)
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1 Red Chilli - broken
- few Curry Leaves
To Garnish :
- grated coconut
- Separate the jack fruit seeds from the fruit and wash . Spread them on a paper or flat plate and air / sun dry them for 2-3 days .This helps to peel of the skin better, else they will be sticky.
- Cut each seed to 2 pieces and peel the white skin off from the seed . Making a cut in the seed and then peeling will help to peel easily .
- Add haldi and cook the seeds in enough water till they are done .Cook in cooker for about 3 whistles .
- Drain the cooked jackfruit seeds using a colander . Save the broth for making rasam . keep aside the cooked jack fruit seeds to make a stir fry .
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan / kadai over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds ,urad dal and allow seeds to crackle. When they crackle , add broken red chillies , curry leaves and chopped onions. Saute for a few minutes on medium heat until the onions are tender.
- Add all the spices ie turmeric powder, hing, red chilli powder,sambar / rasam powder and salt . Give a quick mix
- Add in the thinly sliced cooked jackfruit seeds into the onion mixture.
- Gently mix everything so that masala gets coated to the seeds well . Continue to roast on low flame for about 10 mins , stirring in between . This will make the seeds slightly roasted and help in taking in all the flavors . If you are ok , you can add 1-2 tbsp of oil too in between .
- Garnish with some coconut and Serve the Jack Fruit Seeds Stir Fry with steamed rice and rasam .