Kadai Paneer Recipe with step by step photos | How to do restaurant-style Kadai Paneer | How to do Kadai Paneer Gravy | Restaurant Style Kadai Paneer with step by step photos
Today I have for you all a popular restaurant style paneer side dish which we all love -” Kadai Paneer “. Making restaurant-style Kadai paneer at home is not difficult at all… It’s delicious, spicy and pairs best with roti , chapathi and jeera rice. Soft paneer, bell peppers, onion tomato simmered in a delicious curry base .. flavoured with homemade kadhai masala.
What is Kadai Paneer?
This dish is typically cooked in a special kadai in restaurants and hence the name ” Kadai Paneer “. However, at home one can make with any pan / kadai .. whichever you have .
Heart of this dish which makes the curry absolutely lip-smacking is the homemade aromatic spice blend Kadai masala. Perfectly roasted and blended coriander, Cumin, chillies and few whole spices, is the key. You can make this masala once, store in airtight containers and use for next couple of days whenever you are making any kadai gravies.
The key to the best Kadai paneer lies in the freshly roasted spices and capsicum. Kadai paneer recipe that I am sharing today is adapted from a cookbook. So what are you waiting for .. Do try this restaurant-style Kadai Paneer right in your home and be ready to receive accolades…
Paneer or Indian cottage cheese is a novelty for the vegetarians. It is widely loved by all age groups and its so versatile. Be it a dry vegetable, a gravy, a snack or a dessert; paneer can fit in everywhere. Having said all that, I am not a paneer person. Somehow from childhood paneer doesn’t attract me. But my daughter is opposite she jusssstttt loves Paneer. Whenever we go to a restaurant she likes to have something paneer based. But for a change i love love this Kadai paneer .. crunchy capsicum, onion and tomatoes makes it absolutely delicious. Do try once .. I am sure you too will love it…
Note : this recipe has been updated on 25 the July 2020 from an old post published on July 15th 2015
- 200 gms Paneer / Cottage Cheese, diced
- 1 big Onion, diced
- 2 nos Capsicum, diced
- 1 medium sized Tomato, diced
- 2-4 tbsp Oil / Ghee / oil + Ghee
- 1-2 nos Green Chilli, slit
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric/ Haldi
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder, based on ur preferance
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Kasuri Methi /dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 tbsps Fresh cream/Malai
- few sprigs Coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
To saute and grind ( Onion - Tomato paste) :
- 1 big Onion
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes
- 1/4 inch Ginger, piece
- 5-6 flakes Garlic
- few Cashews
For Kadai masala ( Key Masala )
- 1.5 tbsp Coriander Seeds / Dhania
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 3-4 nos Red Chilli, Kashmiri chilli / Byadgi preferred for deep color
- few Pepper
- 1 no Bay leaf
- 1 piece Cloves / lavang
- 2 nos Cardamom / Elaichi
Initial preparation :
- Cube paneer and add all the paneer cubes to hot water. Let it remain until ready to use. This gives paneer a soft melt-in-mouth texture.
- Dice onion, deseed capsicum, deseed tomato and dice. Heat a tsp of oil and toss on high flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Retain crunchiness and colour. Don't over toss. Keep it aside to use later.
To make onion - tomato paste :
- First, let's prepare base of the curry. Add a tsp of oil and saute onion, ginger garlic and few cashews. Let it get translucent.
- Next, add tomatoes, salt and saute till it gets mushy. You can cover and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Cooldown and grind it a fine paste. Keep aside.
To make Kadai Masala:
- Dry roast dhania, Jeera, Red chillies, peppercorns , Bay leaf, cinnamon and elaichi until they turn slightly brown and aromatic.
- Cool them and grind it in mixer to a coarse powder.
- Our key masala, homemade Kadai masala is ready. Keep aside to use later. You can do this in bulk and store in an airtight container to use whenever required.
Now Time to assemble everything and prepare the yummy kadai masala gravy :
- Add oil/ghee to the same pan. Keep flame on low and In goes green chilli, Haldi and red chilli. Quickly mix .. making sure not to burn. adding red chilli powder to hot oil gives nice good colour.
- Add ground onion tomato paste. I added little water to the jar to take out all the masala sticking on the jar and added to the pan. Combine everything and saute for 4-5 mins.
- When onion tomato masala is nicely sauted, add salt to taste, little sugar to balance taste, freshly made 2-3 tsp Kadai masala, garam masala, little crushed Kasoori Methi and cream. Mix everything and let it boil on a medium flame for 3-4 mins.
- After the gravy has boiled nicely, add diced paneer cubes, sauteed onion, tomato and capsicum. Mix and boil the gravy for just 2-3 mins so that they take in flavours. After adding paneer to the gravy, don't over boil .. they become rubbery/chewy. Just 2-3 mins is enough.
- Lastly, garnish with chopped coriander leaves and done.
- Yummy kadai paneer is ready to serve . Enjoy Kadai paneer with chapati / Roti / Jeera Rice.
- The authentic recipe uses paneer cubes directly. However, you can Tawa fry them in oil or ghee until light brown for variation in taste.
- Maintain the crunchiness of diced capsicum and onion.
- The same recipe can be adapted to make Kadai vegetables or other Kadai recipes.