Today’s recipe is my childhood favorite, which has continued till date.When i was a kid, other than the Til laddu, peanut laddu was the only laddu i really craved for. Infact i had not tasted any other laddus.I would always love to snack on these laddus be it after school,after meal ,or any time of the day. I still remember those quarrels i used to have with my brother when my mom used to tell me to share them with him.Time has passed like a wink , but memories are so fresh ….
With time,things have changed.I am no more greedy.I love to share,feed and experience the happiness associated with it. The best part is that even my lil monsters and hubby dear loves these peanuts laddu.Thus , it has become like one of the must in the menu list for krishna janmashtami sweets.After the puja, its a family time munching these laddus ,rambling on anything and everything…..y tete-a-tete, i’ll quickly move on to the recipe ….
- 1 cup Groundnuts
- 1/2 cup Jaggery, Grated
- 1 tsp Ghee to grease, your hand
- Dry roast the peanuts till you get nice aroma. You will hear the crackling sound.Peanut readiness can be checked by rubbing them with your hands. If the peel rolls out, it's done .
- Allow it to cool and remove the skin.Alternatively you can buy, roasted de skinned peanuts .
- Now just run the peanut once in a mixer such that 1 peanut breaks to 2-3 pieces. Don't make a smooth powder .
- Take 1/4 glass of water and jaggery in a thick bottomed vessel and bring it to boil. Keep stirring in low flame until the syrup is thick and sticky.
- IMPORTANT STEP To check syrup : To test jaggery syrup readiness - Keep a small plate/cup with cold water ready by stove side.When you take a bit of hot syrup and put it in water, you should be able to make a ball of it. Then the syrup is ready.
- Once the syrup is ready, add the roasted peanuts and mix well .Keep it aside to cool a bit.
- When is slightly hotter than warm ,shape into small round balls by greasing your hand .
- Store in a air tight container. Next time, When you are looking for something to satisfy that sweet tooth and a quick burst of energy, these peanut balls are sure to satisfy that craving . Relish them as many as you want without any guilt as they are ghee less and i'm sure i'll get 1 more peanut laddu fan :)...
- The mixture should be slightly hotter than warm when you are making laddus.Else it will be difficult to bind them together.
- When making laddus, if the mixture has turn cold and you are not able to make laddus, reheat the peanut and jaggery mix on low flame for 1-2 mins. Later, proceed to do laddus immediately.
- If you want you can add roasted finely chopped dry coconut pieces to the peanut mixture.