Sundal is a south Indian salad made with different legumes.Its Navaratri time again. Dasara or navaratri is one of the main festivals for Hindus. It is celebrated with great enthusiasm all over India and each region celebrates it in different way.In south India apart from the daily pooja to the Goddess,few people have a tradition of keeping grand Golu at their home( Display of dolls and handicrafts). Arranging Navaratri Golu is an event itself, for it means an occasion for friends and relatives to visit each others home to view and admire the golu. All the 9 days different variety of sundals are prepared as prasaadam and offered to god and later distributed to the guests who come to see golu.
Sundal is south Indian salad made with different legumes/bean seed of your choice.We make this for festival occasions particularly for navarathri ,Ganesh Chaturthi,Vara Mahalakshmi and also offered as prasadam in most of the temples in Karnataka.They are very healthy and guilt free snacks which you can have any time of the day. You can have them as an accompaniment with your meals too.Most of the kids love them.
Today I’m sharing with you all a very common -“chickpeas sundal” . There are two types of this channa (black and white).You can make the sundal with both and the recipe is the same.Today I’ve chosen the white one. Its a simple dish loaded with high protein .
Here goes the recipe :
KADLEKALU USLI / CHANNA SUNDAL
- 1 big cup Kabuli Channa
- a pinch Turmeric
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Coriander leaves chopped to garnish
- 1 inch Ginger
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies
- 1 small cup grated fresh Coconut
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- a pinch Hing
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Soak Chana overnight or at least for 8-9 hrs.Combine the soaked Channa with salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker and cook for 4-5 whistles until soft.The Chana should be soft and firm to touch and should not be either hard or mushy. Set it aside to cool.
- Once cool, drain and save the stock to make Rasam or soups.
- In a mixer grind ginger, chillies and grated coconut to a coarse paste
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds .Later add hing, curry leaves ,red chilli and the grinded masala and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked Channa to the kadai add little salt and mix well.
- Once everything is well mixed,sprinkle little water ,close the lid and leave it for 3-4 minutes in a low flame, so that channa observes all the masala well .
- Switch off the flame.Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.Serve them hot,warm or cold as a snack or as prasadam .That’s it healthy ,tasty guilt free chickpeas sundal is ready.
- You can replace kabuli channa with kala channa,lobia,green gram,yellow peas ,horse gram or chana dal for variation or you can even use mix of these legumes to make variety sundal.
- Instead of making a coarse paste of ginger n green chilli , you finely chop them and add .