Channa Sundal Recipe | Chana Sundal Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Channa Sundal | How to do Kadlekalu Usli | How to do Chickpeas Sundal
Chana Sundal or Kadlekalu Usli is an easy , healthy sundal or usli that can be had as an evening snack or made as Neivedyam during Navratri Golu days , Ganesh Chaturthi , few festivals. This has always been my favorite sundal since childhood.
About Channa Sundal :
Sundal is a South Indian style salad / snack/ stir fried dish made basically with dry legume / lentil , spiced & tempered. Hing/ ginger added gives a nice flavor to any sundal and helps in reducing the gassy nature of sundal .
One can make sundal with various legumes like peanut, peas , cowpeas , corn , lobia etc . The chosen for the day is Channa .
Sundal is usually prepared during Vinayaka Chaturthi or Navratri naivedhyam in south India. But one can make it evening snacks . Very healthy , tasty , quick and easy to make.
This Channa sundal is so good with the aroma & flavor , once cooked Channa is ready , making this sundal hardly takes only 5 minutes.This chickpea sundal snack is low in fat, high in protein and very filling.
You can have them as an accompaniment with your meals too.Most of the kids love them.There are two types of this channa (black and white).You can make the sundal with both and the recipe is the same
Channa Sundal Video :
Channa Sundal Recipe with step by step photos :
In a large bowl , wash and soak 1 cup channa for about 6-7 hours / overnight.
drain off the water and transfer to the pressure cooker. Add a cup of water and a tsp of salt .
Pressure cook for 3 whistles on medium flame . Once the pressure releases , check , channa. It should have cooked soft , yet firm. drain off the water and keep aside.
In a mixie jar , prepare a masala . Add a small piece of Ginger , 2-3 Green Chilli, salt and 2-4 tbsp Coconut .
Grind coarsely . No need to add water .
In a pan / kadai prepare a tempering .Heat 2-3 tsp oil and splutter 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp urad dal. Once they splutter add a pinch of hing, 1 dried red chilli broken and few curry leaves. saute for a minute .
Next , add in coarsely grind masala , saute for 1-2 minute. Let the raw smell go
Add cooked chickpeas . Combine everything well .
Splash a little water , mix . Cover and cook for 1-2 mins . Let chana take in flavors and salt .
Lastly , add chopped coriander leaves , little grated coconut if required and squeeze lime . Give a final toss.
That’s it .. Channa sundal is ready to serve !
Points to Note :
- You could use White channa or black channa to make this Sundal
- You can replace kabuli channa with kala channa,lobia,green gram,yellow peas ,horse gram or chana dal for variation or you can even use mix of these legumes to make variety sundal.
- Instead of making a coarse paste of ginger n green chilli , you finely chop them and add .
This post was originally published in Oct 10 th 2013 and republished .
KADLEKALU USLI / CHANNA SUNDAL
- 1 big cup Kabuli Channa
- a pinch Turmeric
- Coriander leaves
- Lemon juice
- 1 inch Ginger
- 2 – 4 nos Green Chillies
- 1 small cup grated fresh Coconut
- Salt to taste
- 2-4 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- a pinch Hing
- Soak Chana overnight or at least for 8-9 hrs.
- Combine the soaked Channa with salt and turmeric in a pressure cooker and cook for 3-4 whistles until soft.The Chana should be soft and firm to touch and should not be either hard or mushy. Set it aside to cool.
- Once cool, drain and save the stock to make Rasam or soups.
- In a mixer grind ginger, chillies and grated coconut to a coarse paste
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds .Later add hing, curry leaves ,red chilli and the grinded masala and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked Channa to the kadai add little salt and mix well.
- Once everything is well mixed,sprinkle little water ,close the lid and leave it for 2-3 minutes in a low flame, so that channa absorbs all the masala well .
- Switch off the flame.Add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.
- Chickpeas sundal is ready. Serve them hot,warm or cold as a snack or as prasadam .