KASHAYA POWDER RECIPE | KASHAYA RECIPE | HOMEMADE KASHAYA POWDER RECIPE | KASHAYA POWDER RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTO
Today I have for you all an amazingly healthy and refreshing Ayurvedic drink called Kashaya. One can enjoy this hot beverage as a replacement to Tea / Coffee. This magical drink is one of the traditional homemade remedies to enhance digestion, reduce acidity, reduce throat congestion, boosts metabolism and maintains good health. A cup of hot, steaming Kashaya can make you feel instantly better and your immune system stronger! It’s so flavourful with a tinge of sweetness and spiciness and so so soothing to the body and soul !!
What is Kashaya Powder ??
Kashaya powder is usually made from a blend of slow-roasted spices, herbs and roots and each ingredient used in the making has immense health benefits. However, there are few special ingredients that are generally used in Kashaya like Hippali, Jestamadhu, Ashwagandha etc which may not be easily available around the world . Hence, at home for regular consumption, a simple Powder is made using spices that are easily available in our pantry and it tastes very good. You can make kashaya powder once , store it in an airtight jar and use to make Kashaya whenever needed.
Once you have Kashaya powder handy, making this soothing kashaya is super easy . One can have it as it is , with just boiling in water and adding a tinge of sweetness or add a splash of hot milk to the concoction and make it more tasty. I wonder .. why some people squeeze their nose hearing the word ” Kashaya “. Who said it’s only for sick people ?? Even today, Kashaya is an everyday drink in most of the houses at Malenadu and Dakshina Kannada regions of Karnataka.
Few points to note before making Kashaya :
- As said earlier, i have used all the handy spices to make kashaya powder. If you get few more ingredients like hippali , jeshtamadhu ,ashwagandha etc in your region .. pls feel free to add them .
- If you don’t have dry ginger powder, you can add a piece of fresh ginger while boiling kashaya .
- Remember to always dry roast the spices in low medium flame. We don’t want them to get burnt and spoil taste .
- Always store Kashaya powder in a air tight container and use clean spoon . Stays good for months .
- While making kashaya , you can either drink them as a decoction or add milk . Milk and water ratio is you choice .
- To sweeten Kashaya , you can use jaggery/honey / sugar / candy sugar .
KASHAYA POWDER RECIPE
To make Kashaya Powder
- 1 Cup Dhania / Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 cup Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Saunf / Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Methi Seeds / Fenugreek
- 2 tsp Black Pepper Powder
- 10-12 nos Cloves / Lavang
- 4-6 nos Elaichi / Cardamom
- 1 no Nutmeg / Jaiphal, broken to pieces
- 1-2 tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 2 tsp Dry ginger powder
To Make Kashaya drink
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 1-2 tsp Kashaya Powder
- small piece Jaggery / sugar / honey
- In a pan , take dhania seeds , jeera and saunf . Dry roast on low flame.
- Let the spices get aromatic and crisp .
- Keep aside .
- To the same pan, add methi seeds , pepper , cloves , elaichi and nutmeg .
- Roast them till they are crisp and aromatic.
- Transfer all the spices to a plate . Add haldi and dry ginger powder to the roasted spices.
- cool completely, and transfer to a blender.
- Blend spices to a fine powder , don't add any water. Kashaya powder is ready, store in an airtight container.
- Store Kashaya powder in an air tight container and use as when required. Can store for months.
To prepare Kashaya
- In a small vessel , take a cup of water and add a piece of Jaggery.
- Add 1-2 tsp Kashaya powder, stir well and
- Boil well, let all the flavors get absorbed.
- Turn off the flame and add a cup of hot milk.Mix well
- Sieve if you want .
- Enjoy Kashaya hot hot !!