Today i have a famous tiffin dish from Karnataka -” Khara bath / Rava Bath / Rava Vangibath” that’s very popular in darshini’s especially Bangalore – Mysore region .Karnataka has numerous breakfast item .. and one such dish is Khara bath . This khara bath is little similar to Tamilanadu’s Rava Kitchdi and a cousin of vegetable upma . Its spicy ,tasty and silky . Pair it with some coconut chutney and filter coffee …aah makes a yummy indulgence for sure . This is how it is served in Brahmin’s coffee bar ( a famous joint ) in Bangalore. So are you ready to recreate it in your home.. here you go…
Check Out the Video recipe here :
KHARA BATH / RAVA BATH
- 1 cups upma Rava /Sooji
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- 1 small capsicum chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped Mixed veggies (beans,carrot,tomato,brinjal )
- a small piece Ginger ; finely chopped
- 2 slit Green Chillies
- 1-2 tbsp Vangibath Masala Powder
- 3 cup Water
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves and grated coconut to garnish
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Chana Dal
- few Cashew broken ( Optional )
- Curry Leaves few
- 1 broken Red Chilli
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Dry roast rava on medium flame until the aroma starts and turn light brown in color.Keep aside the roasted rava .
- Take a kadai. Add oil + ghee . Add mustard , urad and chana dal. When they splutter add cashew pieces , curry leaves , ginger and chilli . Saute till cashew becomes golden and crisp.When done , add chopped onion and capsicum . Saute till raw smell goes .
- Later add tomatoes and saute till they turn little soft.
- Now add all the finely chopped veggies, little salt and turmeric .
- After 1 minute , add vangibath powder and mix well .
- Add water and salt now and wait till water starts boiling nicely .
- When the water comes to a boil,simmer the flame and add roasted rava in one hand.Mix it using the other hand.
- Keep on medium and cook closed for 3-4 minutes on low flame till semolina is completely cooked .
- After the rava is cooked well,add grated coconut ,chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice.Mix well and serve hot as such or with coconut chutney .
- Roasting of rava in medium flame is very very important for a great kharabath. Else we will end up with a sticky kharabath . But dont reduce less than that mentioned .
- Add more ghee and oil if you want exact hotel style kharabath.If you reduce oil and ghee in the recipe, khara bath may not have the same texture as in the picture.
- If you roast the rava well, you can increase the water quantity too .you will get nice soft kharabath .
- You can plus or minus veggies quantity and also variety of veggies used . You can also make them just with brinjals.
- To save time , if you want you can precook veggies a bit and add . And simultaneously heat water in a different stove and add hot water .This will reduce cooking time .