Khara uddina kadubu is basically spicy lentil mixture with a rice flap covering .We can have it as snacks or for breakfast .Its a famous dish in Karnataka .
I prepare it for Nagarapanchami , along with eeradde .And since i have a carving for spicy food, i just cant resist myself from over eating this kadubu.Later i console myself as ” dont worry Smitha, it is healthy as it is steam cooked and zero oil.You can over eat at least during festivals”… ha ha .. Cool na !! Ok,chalo let us make a note of the recipe :
KHARA UDDINA KADUBU
For the outer Cover :
- 2 Cups Rice
- 1/4 cup coconut grated
For the filling :
- 1 Cup Urad Dal black gram soaked / Split
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies chopped
- peppercorns Few (optional)
- 2 sprigs Curry Leaves
- Ginger little
- a pinch Asafetida Hing /
- Salt as per taste
- Banana turmeric / leaf
- Soak rice in water for 2-3 hours and then grind to smooth batter with salt and without adding too much of water.The batter consistency should be thick(thicker than milkshake) .
- Soak urad dal for 1-2 hours . Drain the excess water.
- Grind soaked urad dal without adding any water. Transfer to a bowl.In case , if you are not able to run the mixer, add very less water.
- To that add finely chopped (green chillies + ginger + curry leaves ) , slightly crushed pepper corns,hing.Mix well .Add salt to the batter just before spreading, else it will become watery.
- Clean all the leaves,wipe them with kitchen towel and now its ready for stuffing.
- Now take some water in the idli steamer and keep for boil.
- Meanwhile arrange all the leaves in a row and start spreading the batter.Spread a table spoon of batter on each leaves as shown in the picture.You have to spread the batter evenly for the better results.
- Now take some stuffing and nicely spread it in a single line.The stuffing should be in the center . You can fold the leaf horizontally or vertically.
- Proceed the same with all the leaves.Once done its ready for steaming.
- Place them in a steamer and steam cook them for 15 minutes on high flame and another 5-10 minutes in medium flame.When the turmeric /banana leaves fades in color, its an indication that kadubu is almost done .
- Serve them hot as such /with a dash of coconut oil/coconut oil and mango pickle/coconut chutney. I love having it with coconut oil and mango pickle.
- There is another version of this dish – made without leaves which i will post sometime. Recipe for sweet version of this is here.
- 1 In case,batter turned little watery you can add rice flour /maida .
- Short cut method to prepare outer covering : just prepare a batter from rice flour or maida.
- Version 2 filling: Instead of Urad dal you can use soaked chana dal (Bengal Gram ) /soaked tuvar dal ( pigeon peas ). Rest same as above.Also you can include chopped coconut, coriander leaves etc for the stuffing.
- Always arrange the kadubu in such a way that the steam passes through each and every eeradde while cooking.
- If only the urad dal stuffing is left out and is excess,don't worry. Pour the stuffing mix to greased idly moulds,steam cook them to get super soft spicy idly s .
- If using banana leaf, fold as shown below