When i started blogging few months back ,many people would ask me why do i blog? Though i knew i love cooking ,experimenting with ingredients and playing with camera but at times i too would wonder is blogging really worth the time i spend on it ? But now, i am fully convinced and thoroughly enjoy being a part of this blogging world.Its making me grow as an individual boosting my confidence and creative level.I wake up each day with an added zeal and energy level.Today exactly after 6 months,with 70+ posts and a decent fan following i can proudly say ” Yes i am a budding Blogger “. Hope you too feel the same way.To mark the day, i present a simple dessert ,one of the most loved payasams from Karnataka. That’s ” Khus Khus Kheer / Poppy Seeds Kheer ” or ” Gasa Gase Payasa ” as known in Kannadiga’s house.Wondering how a payasam out of the tiny poppy seeds would be ?But be assured the delightful combo of poppy seeds, nuts and coconut is truly a treat to your taste buds…
Preparation of khus khus kheer varies from home home. Some soak poppy seeds while few roast them.But i feel roasting khus khus brings out maximum flavour from it and the aroma filling the home is just wow.Few people like it to be little watery and relish it as a drink and few like it a bit thick and enjoy it as kheer.Since im not a huge dessert fan, i luv it as a drink with mild sweetness.Whichever way, i’m sure you will love and dozz off with this addictive payasam.This kheer is a very good body coolant too.So ready to know how i make ? Here i go…
KHUS KHUS KHEER
- 3 tbsp Poppy Seeds khuskhus / Gasa gase
- 1 tbsp Rice ( Son masoori / Basmati )
- 1 small cup coconut Grated
- little less than 1/2 cup Dry Coconut / Kopra
- 5 - 8 Cashew
- 3 - 4 Almond /Badam (optional)
- 3/4 - 1 small cup Jaggery ( as per ur pref )
- 2 - 3 cardamom elaichi
- Dry roast poppy seeds,rice,cashew and badam on low heat till poppy seeds turns light pinkish in color and a nice aroma starts coming. Observe that rice too would have turned crisp.Switch off the stove n allow to cool. REFER NOTES.
- Dry powder the roasted ingredients in a small container of the mixer .Make a very super fine powder.Dont add any water. REFER NOTES.
- To the super fine powder add coconut,dry coconut ,cardamom and little water.Grind again till coconut turns to very smooth paste.
- In a vessel take jaggery and water. Keep it on medium flame.Let the jaggery dissolve.
- When the jaggery dissolves and starts boiling, add the ground poppy seeds paste.Mix well.Add water,the quantity of which depends on how much liquid you want your payasam to be.Keep the flame on medium low and stir occasionally to prevent burning.Let the kheer boil for 2-3 mins.Switch off.
- Thats it.. Kheer is ready to be served..Enjoy it warm or cold....
- Always dry roast the poppy seeds in low flame. Don't under do or over roast them.The whole essence of this kheer depends on the flavour of poppy seeds.So proper roasting is very essential.
- After roasting , next important step is grinding khuskhus.First grind poppy seeds without adding water.If you add water /milk they will not become smooth paste.
- The texture of poppy seeds mixture should be really very very smooth...If you feel it between your fingers,it should almost melt.
- Many people instead of water add milk in the end to get the required consistency.I like my payasam to be prepared as mentioned above.You can try both n see which you like.
- Do note that , little quantity of poppy seeds makes a large quantity of kheer.
- Cashew,Badam n rice gives a good consistency to the kheer.