A good breakfast fuels you up and gets you ready for the day …. Agree ? So here i am today with a new unique breakfast ” Khara Akki Rotti Recipe ” . This khara akki rotti is also called as kodubale rotti as it tastes exactly like the Karnataka famous snack Kodubale .
If you are craving for kodubale then this spicy akki rotti is for you.. Its very very delicious , addictive and travel friendly . And good news is that its comparatively guiltfree as its not deep fried like kodubale and easy to make . I am sure you will love my childhood favorite dish !!!!
“Rotti ” actually needs no intro to any Kannadiga.For people who are wondering what this rotti(stress on “tt” ) is , let me translate it as a type of roti / flatbread .There are many different types of rotti one can make like Akki rotti , ragi rotti , rava rotti , ubbu rotti etc and today it’s khara akki rotti . It’s called as kodubale rotti as spices used for making this spicy rotti is same as that of kodubale . Addition of roasted chutney dal , roasted gram , sesame seeds makes it more tasty , nutritious and filling . Do try this tasty spicy akki rotti and let me know how you liked it . Since it already has spices .. no side dish s required .. relish with fresh curd / butter .Here you go …
KODUBALE ROTTI RECIPE / KHARA AKKI ROTTI RECIPE
- 2 cup Rice flour
- 1/4 cup Chutney dal /Roasted gram dal / hurikadle / pottukadalai
- 3-4 tbsp Roasted grounut, slightly crushed
- 1-2 tsp White sesame / White til, roasted
- 1 tsp Caraway Seeds /Ajwain / oma
Masala to grind
- 1/2 cup coconut, grated
- 1.5 tsp Cumin seeds / jeera seeds
- a pinch of Asafoetida/ hing
- 4-6 Nos Red Chilli, as required
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- In a mixer powder chutney dal / roasted gram .
- To a mixer .. transfer all the ingredients mentioned under masala . Add little water and grind to a fine paste .
- Take a mixing bowl and add all the ingredients one by one .. Rice flour , roasted gram powder , ground masala , crushed peanuts , roasted sesame seeds and ajwain .
- Add lukewarm water little by little and mix it nicely to form a dough. The dough should be such that its easy to spread / pat with hands. It should not be too hard ,smooth-firm dough.
- There are two ways in which you can spread the rotti on the tawa : 1 . Grease a plastic sheet / aluminum foil / parchment paper /banana leaf .Take an orange sized dough and pat it evenly with your hands to a medium thin pancake.Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting.Make a hole on the rotti so that they get cooked uniformly. Transfer to a hot griddle . 2 . Grease the cold tawa and take orange sized dough and pat it evenly on the cold griddle to a medium thin pancake.Switch on flame , drizzle oil and cook on medium flame. Check out my akki rotti video on youtube for a detailed method
- Pour some oil in the holes and all over the rotti.Cover and cook till it becomes slightly brown in colour. Then flip the rotti and continue cooking for about a minute or so till the rotti becomes crispy.
- Spicy Khara rotti / kodubale rotti is ready to enjoy . Serve it with Butter / curd .
- This rotti needs the mentioned quantity coconut and little more oil to cook . So don't reduce .
- In the authentic recipe .. onion , carrot , coriander leaves etc are not added as in kodubale we don't add all those . However for a change in taste you can add .
- Don't powder groundnut fine .. tastes good when we get few pieces here and there while eating .