Today i have for you all … an easy , very healthy and tasty salad called Kosambari . Kosambari is basically a very traditional South Indian style salad made from choice of fresh veggie with some soaked moong dal/ chana dal / sprouts etc . Its also known as Kosumalli .There are many combinations of kosambari one can make and today i have for you all Cucumber Kosambari / Southekayi kosambari as called in Kannada . In Karnataka .. cucumber kosambari is one of the commons in festival ( especially for Ram Navami ) / wedding / any other functions..one of the must for Ram navami festival ..
Usually during summer .. my one meal happens to be salad and my kids evening snacks are that . So I often make Cucumber kosambari , carrot kosambari , Sprouts kosamabri etc …love each of them to the core ..Low on calories .. high on nutrients .and an absolute visual treat to see a bowlful of colorful fresh kosambari … Isn’t it ?? An absolute healthy dish that can be binged without thinking much about the weighing scale. So are you ready to make a note of this healthy Karnataka special cucumber kosambari .. here you go …
Check out the video here :
you an also check methi sprouts salad
KOSAMBARI RECIPE / CUCUMBER KOSAMBARI / SOUTHEKAYI KOSAMBARI
- 1 cup tender cucumber, Finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Moong dal/ hesarubele
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- Lemon juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- few sprigs of coriander leaves
For the tempering
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Urad dal
- a pinch Hing /Asafoetida
- 2 slit Green Chillies
- few Curry Leaves
- Wash and soak moong dal for 1/2 an hour. Drain the soaked moong dal using a colander and keep aside .
- Finely chop cucumber . If you want you can peel and deseed cucumber .. i usually retain it .
- Take a large mixing bowl . Add chopped cucumber , soaked drained moong dal , grated fresh coconut , chopped coriander and lemon juice .
- Time to prepare tempering . Heat oil in a small pan. Once it turns hot, add the mustard seeds and urad dal .When it splutters ,add asafoetida , green chilly and curry leaves and saute for a few secs. Turn off the heat.
- Pour this tempering on the kosamabari and mix everything well . Add salt only when you are about to serve. Else it will leave water .
- Yummy and healthy cucumber kosambari is ready to serve .
- As i said earlier .. if you want you can de seed cucumber and then use.
- You can +/- moong dal quantity as per your preference .
- Remember to add salt only just before serving . Else it will ooze out lot of water .
- Typically kosambari is mild in taste . So don’t add too many green chilliesv . If you want you can skip green chilli and just add broken red chilli while tempering .
- Similarly you can make carrot kosambari , radish kosambari , beetroot kosambari etc