KUSKA RICE RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO MAKE KUSKA RICE | PLAIN KUSKA RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE PLAIN BIRYANI | KUSKA BIRYANI RECIPE
Today I have for you all a very easy one-pot dish .. ” Kuska Rice / Plain Biryani “… A popular South Indian biryani from the Hyderabadi cuisine that’s made without any vegetables or meat. Simple, flavorful and put together with minimal ingredients .. this Kuska tastes more delicious with some Onion Raita / salna on the side.
The word kuska is derived from the urdu word ‘khushk’ which means dry. Hence this is a dry plain biryani. One can make it quick one pot pressure cooker method or opt for dum cooking method. On lazy Sundays or no stock veggies day …if you can’t afford Biriyani, Kuska comes to the rescue – it has all the flavour of actual Biryani. Though there are several ways by which this kuska rice can be made, I’m sharing one of the easiest methods.
Few variations and points to note while making Kuska Rice :
- You can use any Rice variety like Basmati / Sona masoori / Jeera Rice / Samba rice etc. Only thing .. use Rice: water ratio accordingly so that it’s perfectly cooked and grains are separate .
- Basmati Rice to water ratio I follow is 1: 1 3/4. If using normal rice you can maintain 1: 2 1/2 ratio.
- You can replace rice with Millets/quinoa.
- To add extra flavor you can use vegetable stock/chicken stock ( if you eat non-veg)
KUSKA / KUSKA RICE RECIPE / HOW TO MAKE PLAIN BIRYANI
- 1 cup Basmati rice soaked for an hour
- 2-3 tbsp Ghee
- 1 no Bay leaf
- 1 inch Cinnamon/ dalchini
- 3-4 nos Cloves / dalchini
- 3-4 nos Green Cardamom / Elaichi
- 1 no Star Anise / Ananas hoovu
- small pc Nut Meg
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Saunf / fennel seeds
- 1 big Onion sliced / fine chop
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli Slit
- 2 nos Ripe tomato chopped
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/2 tsp Biryani Masala
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / Haldi powder
- 3 tbsp Fresh curd
- handful of Coriander leaves chopped
- handful of Mint leaves / pudina chopped
- 1.5-2 cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Wash and Soak Basmati Rice for 30 - 60 mins. Drain water nicely and keep aside to use later.
- Heat ghee in a cooker on medium heat. Temper ... Jeera, Saunf, Bay leaf, whole spice ( cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, star anise ). Saute for 30 - 40 second.
- Later add chopped Onion, ginger garlic paste, green chilli.. saute till onions are golden brown.
- Add chilli powder and haldi. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add 2 chopped tomatoes, salt and saute till soft and mushy.
- Once tomatoes are soft and mushy, add chopped coriander leaves, pudina leaves, kasoori methi, garam masala powder/biryani masala. Saute 1-2 mins.
- At this point add curd. Simmer the flame, whisk the curd and slowly add it into the pan. Stir continuously. Fry the masala on low flame for 1-2 minute, till raw smell of curd, goes and oil starts separating.
- Once curd masala starts separating oil, add basmati rice. Gently combine everything.
- Add warm water. For 1 cup Basmati rice, add 1 3/4 cup water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles on high.
- Turn off flame and rest for 10-15 mins. Let the pressure release on its own. Open the lid and fluff up .
- Enjoy Kuska Rice with Onion Raita. Tastes so delicious and very very easy to make.