Today i share with you all a very common and popular breakfast item across South India A simple dish with mild flavors and an acquired tang from lemon .Can be done in jiffy with just a few ingredients.Kid friendly and crowd pleaser too.Perfect to serve any time of the day. Yes you guessed it right im speaking about our very old ” Lemon Sevai / Akki Shavige Oggarne “; translated in English as “ Lemon flavored rice vermicelli or rice noodles “.
Traditionally these sevais are made by making rice noodles at home from scratch and later spiced up.But it calls for lot of procedure and time.But nothing can beat its taste.Ill surely post it soon. But for now, keeping in mind today’s fast paced world , ill use instant rice noodles that is easily available in market .Though it doesn’t match exactly the authentic taste but tastes good in its own way. ou may also see INSTANT RAGI VERMCELLI UPMA RECIPE HERE
Rice vermicelli upma can be flavored many a ways like coconut sevai,tamarind sevai,tomato sevai etc and and i love each of them .For today the chosen one is tangy lemon flavored rice sevai .Addition of veggies like carrot,beans,capsicum,peas etc makes it wholesome and more healthy, but this time to keep it – just simple lemon sevai, i skipped all….here goes…
LEMON SHAVIGE / LEMON SEVAI – RECIPE
INSTANT LEMON SEVAI
- 250 gm Rice Noodles
For tempering :
- 2 - 3 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- 2 tsp Split Black gram Urad dal
- 1 tsp Split Bengal gram/ Chana dal
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- a handful Peanut
- few pcs Cashew, ( optional )
- 1 - 2 Red Chillies, broken to pieces
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Haldi turmeric
- 4 - 6 Green Chillies, ( depending on the spice level ) ; - finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- few springs Coriander leaves, ;finely chopped
- 1 Lemon
- Salt, - as per taste
To Cook Noodles :
- Boil excess water in a broad pan.Add little salt .When water starts boiling , add noodles and cook as per the package instructions.Test if sevai is cooked by pressing between ur fingers.If it breaks easily , its cooked. If it squishes its overcooked.
- Drain the hot water and run noodles under cold water.Smear a tsp of oil , so that noodles do not stick. Spread it and allow to cool .
Preparing Tempering :
- Meanwhile,in a big pan / kadai take oil. Add mustard,urad dal ,chana dal and peanuts. When the mustard splutters add cashew pcs,cumin and red chilli. Fry till cashew pieces turns golden color. Add green chilli,curry leaves and turmeric. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Switch off .Add salt,coconut and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- To this tempering add cooked rice noodles. Squeeze lemon juice. Mix them thoroughly.Taste test. Add salt or lemon if required.
- Serve it as it is or with coconut chutney.
- In case your adding veggies, chop them nicely n precook. Add it after adding chillies and saute for 1-2 mins adding salt.
- Cooking instant rice noodles is very easy. But take care not to overcook .Else they become mushy. So do follow the instructions given on the packet carefully to get the perfect non sticky noodles .
- I normally use dragon brand rice sevai as it doesn't require very careful observation. By mistake in case if you overcook for a minute or two also,it doesnt get that mushy..Other brands available in the market are Concorde,MTR,Anil ,TTK,double horse etc.