Today’s recipe is a fulfilling healthy dish that is loaded high on nutrition and low on calories..a perfect choice for all those who are looking for a healthy wholesome quick breakfast/dinner recipe. That’s ” Little Millets Upma / Saame Akki Upma ” . It is simple in preparation .Addition of veggies makes it colorful,more nutritious and more yummy…
Little millet is known as samai in tamil,saame akki in Kannada, Kutki in Hindi, Sama in telugu,Chama in Malayalam .
After receiving green signal for my kodo millet dosa and idly , i am trying various millet recipes these days. So this time i tried another safe recipe using little millet . Since everyone loves upma in my home , i knew this too would be accepted without a fuss . Little millet upma tasted almost like rice upma but health wise its way way nutritious . If you are trying to implement millets in your diet, do try it once, you will definitely make it again and again…
LITTLE MILLET UPMA
- 1 cup Little millet
- 2 - 2.5 cups Water
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Mixed veggies (Beans,Carrot,Peas etc ) ( Optional ) finely Chopped
- 2 - 4 Green Chillies Chopped
- Coriander leaves - few ; Chopped
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- to taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 tsp Split Black gram/ Urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Bengal Gram /Chana Dal
- Turmeric / Haldi powder
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 tsp OIl
- Dry roast little millet in a pan or kadai for about 5 min , such that they are aromatic.
- To the same pan add oil and heat. Add chana dal, urad dal and mustard. Fry till they turn golden brown and mustard splutters.Later add curry leaves,onion and green chilli . Saute for a minute or two till the onion turns slight pink.
- Add finely chopped mixed veggies. Add some salt ,turmeric and saute for 3-4 mins.
- To that add water .Keep the flame on medium high and bring to boil .
- When the water starts to boil add roasted little millet, lemon and remaining salt.Mix well.Cover and cook for about 10 minutes on low flame .
- Once little millet is cooked ( until all the water has been absorbed by the millet and feels cooked and looks grainy ) add coriander leaves and coconut . Toss once and switch off.
- Serve little millet upma hot as such or with chutney .