Majjige Saaru Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Buttermilk Rasam | Majjiga Chaaru
Majjige Saaru / Buttermilk Rasam – a traditional age old quick and instant rasam made with tangy buttermilk / curd in just 5-10 mins . Makes a great side dish with hot rice or Ragi Mudde. So so refreshing on a summer noon !! Super easy to make n very tasty to taste… Do try , you will like for sure !!
Check Out the video recipe here :
What is Majjige Saaru ?
Majjige Saaru is a very humble ,simple , tasty and refreshing rasam made using sour curd / butter milk ,coconut milk , ginger , garlic , onion , chilli etc. Sour curd , spiciness from onion ginger chilli , aroma of coconut milk .. everything is so well balanced in this dish to make a great side dish with rice.
If you are sick with no appetite / out of stock with veggies / super busy and hardly have mood or time to cook something / summer heat is making you feel sick / have lot of sour curd in fridge to clear … the solution for all the above is this healthy Instant Buttermilk Rasam.
Few points to note while making Buttermilk Rasam :
- Use little sour Butter milk / sour curd . Enhances the taste.
- Usually , churned buttermilk is used to make this dish. However , if you don’t have , can use a mix of curd and water. Just whisk .
- Addition of onion and garlic is optional . If you want can skip. However, they enhance taste.You can add a pinch of hing / asafoetida for flavoring.
- Addition of coconut milk is also optional. You can skip if you don’t have but try to add as they really enhance the taste , also gives some thickness.
- You can use homemade coconut milk or ready made milk or coconut milk powder.
- Don’t boil after adding buttermilk . It may curdle.
Majjige Saaru Recipe / Buttermilk Rasam
- 1 cup Buttermilk , little tangy preferred
- 1/2 cup Curd, little tangy preferred
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 medium size Onion
- small piece Ginger
- 3-4 nos Green Chilli, based on your spice level
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Haldi
- few sprigs Coriander leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- few seeds Methi / Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 no Red Chilli , broken
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-4 flakes Garlic, crushed ( optional )
- To a mortar pestle or mixer , add Ginger , Green Chilli and diced Onion .
- Crush all the taken ingredients coarsely . If required add little water.
- This is how the crushed masala should look. Don't make a very fine paste. Crushing in pestle gives good texture but i was lazy to do 🙂 .
- To a mixing bowl , add buttermilk. If using Curd , add curd and water . Whisk smooth.
- Add salt and coconut milk to the buttermilk.
- Combine everything well . Keep the mixture aside.
- In a small pan, prepare tempering.Heat oil.. temper with mustard , jeera , methi seeds .
- Once they splutter add broken red chilli , curry leaves and crushed garlic.
- Add crushed Onion Masala paste and saute 2-3 mins. Let raw smell of onion and garlic go.
- Add pinch of turmeric and coriander leaves. Mix & Switch off.Let the temperature of the onion mixture reduce a bit .. i.e let it get warm from hot .
- Add buttermilk, coconut milk mixture and combine everything nicely. If required add water to adjust consistency.
- That's it Buttermilk rasam or majjige saaru is ready. Allow to sit 5-10 mins.
- Enjoy Majjige Saaru with hot rice. Tasty to taste and light on tummy.