Hmm.. It’s been quiet some time that i posted an Indian sweet here. So today i have for you all a very traditional dessert of Karnataka made using Mango and semolina – ” Mango Rava Halbai ” . I know many of you would find it difficult to connect to the name . For easy understanding , we can call this dish a close cousin of Mango flavored Rava Kesari / Rava Barfi . But unlike kesari bath , rava halbai is made using jaggery and also usage of ghee is less in this dish when compared to kesari bath . Addition of coconut makes Rava halbai soft , jaggery gives nice taste and mango makes it aromatic with incredible flavors . Above all it’s quiet easy and quick to make too…
Halbai / halubai is a delicious traditional sweet of Karnataka which can be prepared from rice/wheat/ragi/ rava.They taste like halwa but are served in the shape of burfis and are very tooth friendly.I have already posted rice halbai and today its comparatively very easy Mango Rava Halbai . I learnt that this recipe from my MIL . You too try friends.. i am sure you will love it….
MANGO RAVA HALBAI
- 1 cup Upma Rava /Normal Sooji /semolina
- 1/2 cup coconut ( grated )
- 1/2 cup Jaggery ( approx depends on mango sweetness )
- 1 - 2 nos Ripe mango
- 1 - 1.5 cups mango puree
- 2 - 3 nos Elaichi
- 2 - 3 tblspns Ghee
- a pinch Salt
- 2 cups Water ( including water used for grinding )
- Cashew nuts for garnishing
- Dry roast rava on medium flame till its aromatic .
- Peel and dice mangoes .
- In a mixer grind coconut ,mango, jaggery and cardamom to a very fine paste by adding little water.
- Add this paste to the roasted rava . Add water ( remaining quantity from 2 cups after using for grinding ), a pinch of salt and mix everything well . Keep the mix aside for 10-15 mins .
- Later , transfer the batter to a nonstick kadai / heavy bottom kadai. Keep on low-medium flame and stir the mixture continuously ensuring that no lumps are formed.
- After 3-4 minutes you will see that the mix is staring to thicken . At this stage add ghee.
- Continue stirring the mixture till it forms a mass of ball and starts leaving the sides of .This will take about 10-15 mins.
- Grease a plate with ghee and transfer the mass to the plate .Spread the mixture evenly using a spatula and smoothen the surface.
- Once warm,cut into desired shape
- Serve Mango rava halbai warm /cold.Can be stored for 4-5 days if refrigerated.
- Before taking it off the pan, do a test.Take a tsp of mix and spread it on a greased plate. It should be able to come off without sticking .Then its done. or
- You can also test it this way: if you touch a tsp of mix with wet hands, it should not stick. Then its done.
- You can replace mango with any other fruit too . if you want can increase fruit quantity .
- Rava : water proportion is 1: 2 .