Mango Shrikhand Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Mango Shrikhand | Amarakhand Recipe | Amarakhand recipe with step by step photos | Aam Shrikhand
Mango Shrikhand or Amrakhand a popular Indian dessert that is actually native to Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine. Made using hung curd & mango puree …one of my all-time favourite desserts. Bursting with the flavour of fresh mango… it’s absolutely delicious, silky and super easy to make.One can relish it chilled as a dessert or enjoy as a side dish along with poori.
Mango Shrikhand is basically hung curd flavoured with mango puree. Addition of cardamom, saffron and few chopped nuts makes the dessert tastier. Though many ready-made brands of Mango Shrikand are available in the market, I somehow don’t like most of them. Homemade Amrakhand is just irresistible. It’s so easy to make them …there is nothing that can go wrong here even if you are the newbie into the kitchen.
There are so many different flavors of shrikhand one can make . I had earlier shared kesar elaichi Shrikhand and today it’s time for Aam Shrikhand.
Few variations and points to note before making Mango Shrikhand
- Use juicy, ripe, not sour mangoes to make Shrikhand.
- If you don’t have fresh mangoes, you can use ready puree / canned mangoes. However, Shrikhand made from fresh mangoes tastes really good.
- Don’t use sour quality mangoes … it may lead to too tangy Shrikhand and you may have to add more sugar/milk to balance the taste.
- Use thick curd only and make sure you drain water completely using a cheese cloth to make shrikhand silky smooth and thick.
- If you are in a hurry and have no time to wait for 3-6 hours. Just buy ready-made hung curd / Greek yoghurt available in supermarkets. and straightly proceed to flavour it.
- Don’t blend curd and mango in an electric blender or mixie. It will make consistency of curd thin.
- Quantity of milk in Shrikhand depends on your choice based on how thick you like .
- Instead of sugar you can add honey / skip completely and it also depends on how sweet mangoes are.
- To make it low cal, you can make it using fat-free curds.
- Can keep in fridge and use as required for min 1 week. They taste fresh. But many people say you can keep for a month. i am not sure, as I have not tried and it always gets over in my house in 2-3 days 🙂 .
If you have not tasted this humble dish, I suggest you try this recipe once coz if a person like me ( who doesn’t have a sweet tooth ) can relish this, I’m sure anyone can !! So, what are you waiting for? Make the tasty and delectable Aamrakhand at home and enjoy …
Check Out the Video recipe here :
MANGO SHRIKHAND RECIPE / AMARAKHAND RECIPE / AAM SHRIKHAND
- 1 kg thick curd/ Yogurt
- 1-2 cup mango, Chopped
- 1/4 cup Sugar, depends on your sweet level preference and mangoes sweetness
- 2-3 tbsp Warm Milk
- 2 nos cardamom elaichi
- few strands Kesar / Saffron threads
- few Cashews , badam , pista, finely chopped
- Take a muslin cloth, spread it on a sieve and place it on a big bowl. Pour the curd onto the cloth.
- Pull out the edges of the cloth & tie the cloth such that you form like a " potli ". Hang the curd at a height for 3-4 hours. The whey ( greenish water from curd ) will drip, so keep a large bowl below to collect the whey. Don't hang the cloth in a warm place. The curd will get too sour. If the temperature is more, better keep it in the fridge. Prevents getting sour.
- Meanwhile, prepare Mango puree. In a mixer blend mango, sugar and cardamom.
- Transfer the mango puree to a pan. Keep it on the flame and saute for 3-4 mins. Let it thicken a bit. You can add blended mango puree directly to curd and whisk but sauteing a bit and thickening the puree, makes it more tasty and creamy.
- Keep aside the tasty mango puree to cool .
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk and keep aside .
- After 3-4 hours, all the liquid/whey would have been drained out. We will be left with very thick yoghurt ie hung curd.
- Transfer the hung curd to a wide bowl.
- Add cool mango puree into the thick yoghurt.. Whisk nicely to make it smooth
- Add in saffron milk and milk .
- Combine everything well nicely using a whisk. Make sure there are no lumps and it becomes creamy . Do not whisk or stir vigorously otherwise shrikhand will become runny and thin consistency.
- Lastly add some chopped nuts to the mango shrikhand and combine. Refrigerate Mango Shrikhand so that it gets chill .
- Pour the mango shrikhand in serving bowls and garnish with some chopped nuts & mango .
- Enjoy chilled Shrikand as such as a dessert or relish them as side dish with Pooris / chapathis .