Mango Shrikhand Recipe with step by step photos | How to do Mango Shrikhand | Amarakhand Recipe | Amarakhand recipe with step by step photos | Aam Shrikhand
Mango Shrikhand or Amrakhand a popular Indian dessert that is actually native to Maharashtrian and Gujarati cuisine. Made using hung curd & mango puree …one of my all-time favourite desserts. Bursting with the flavour of fresh mango… it’s absolutely delicious, silky and super easy to make.One can relish it chilled as a dessert or enjoy as a side dish along with poori.
Mango Shrikhand is basically hung curd flavoured with mango puree. Addition of cardamom, saffron and few chopped nuts makes the dessert tastier. Though many ready-made brands of Mango Shrikand are available in the market, I somehow don’t like most of them. Homemade Amrakhand is just irresistible. It’s so easy to make them …there is nothing that can go wrong here even if you are the newbie into the kitchen.
There are so many different flavors of shrikhand one can make . I had earlier shared kesar elaichi Shrikhand and today it’s time for Aam Shrikhand.
Few variations and points to note before making Mango Shrikhand
- Use juicy, ripe, not sour mangoes to make Shrikhand.
- If you don’t have fresh mangoes, you can use ready puree / canned mangoes. However, Shrikhand made from fresh mangoes tastes really good.
- Don’t use sour quality mangoes … it may lead to too tangy Shrikhand and you may have to add more sugar/milk to balance the taste.
- Use thick curd only and make sure you drain water completely using a cheese cloth to make shrikhand silky smooth and thick.
- If you are in a hurry and have no time to wait for 3-6 hours. Just buy ready-made hung curd / Greek yoghurt available in supermarkets. and straightly proceed to flavour it.
- Don’t blend curd and mango in an electric blender or mixie. It will make consistency of curd thin.
- Quantity of milk in Shrikhand depends on your choice based on how thick you like .
- Instead of sugar you can add honey / skip completely and it also depends on how sweet mangoes are.
- To make it low cal, you can make it using fat-free curds.
- Can keep in fridge and use as required for min 1 week. They taste fresh. But many people say you can keep for a month. i am not sure, as I have not tried and it always gets over in my house in 2-3 days 🙂 .
If you have not tasted this humble dish, I suggest you try this recipe once coz if a person like me ( who doesn’t have a sweet tooth ) can relish this, I’m sure anyone can !! So, what are you waiting for? Make the tasty and delectable Aamrakhand at home and enjoy …