Today i have for you all a very healthy gluten free rotis made from Jowar . I have already shared the authentic way of making North Karnataka special Jowar Roti / Jolada Rotti here . But making Jowar roti’s the traditional way requires some nack , experience and is bit time consuming . Patting the bhakri’s thin is indeed an art . Many people try their hands making jowar rotis the authentic way and quit after a series of flop shows and disappointments. The same was the scenario few years before with me. But knowing the benefits of Jowar , i wanted to include it somehow in my diet . So started making jowar rotis the same way as i do Akki Rotti and Ragi Rotti . My job became so easy as making rotis this way was simpler , quicker and mess free . Not only that .. since it had all the spices, veggies …I need’nt make any extra side dish for it. Wow !! doesn’t that sound great .. the healthy , delicious, nutrituous Jowar rotis is what’s required to keep you full for long hours . So for all those , who are looking to include jowar in your diet / looking for Gluten free recipes / if you are done with flop shows making traditional Jowar Bhakris …. Here is a welcome change – the ” Masala Jowar Roti / Masala Jolada Rotti ” . Do try it for sure friends.. you will love it .. Here we go..
MASALA JOWAR ROTI
- 1 cup Jowar Flour / Jolada hittu / Sorghum
- 1 medium size onion ; finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cucumber ;grated ( optional )
- 2 - 4 Green Chillies : finely chopped
- 1 tbsp White Sesame seeds / til
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- handful Coriander leaves chopped
- Curry Leaves - few ; chopped
- Salt to taste
- Add onion, cucumber,green chilli, coriander, Curry leaves,cumin seeds,sesame seeds and salt in a wide mixing bowl.Mix it nicely by crushing onions with your hands for few minutes. This brings out more flavors from them.
- Add jowar flour to it.
- Start adding warm water ( just warm not hot water ) little by little and mix it nicely to form a dough.The dough should be such that its easy to spread / pat with hands. It should not be too hard ,..just smooth-firm dough.
- There are two ways in which you can spread the rotti on the tawa :
- Method 1 ----> Grease a plastic sheet / aluminum foil / parchment paper / banana leaf .Take an orange sized dough and pat it evenly with your hands to a medium thin pancake on the sheet .Wet your hands in between with water to ease the patting.Make a hole on the rotti so that they get cooked uniformly.
- Heat the griddle.When its hot ,put the sheet on the griddle ( rotti side facing the griddle ). Cook the rotti along with the sheet for 30 sec and then slowly remove the foil.Rotti gets transferred from sheet to the griddle.
- Method 2----> Use two - three tawas to make rottis using method 2 . Grease the cold tawa and take orange sized dough and pat it evenly on the cold griddle to a medium thin pancake.Switch on flame and cook on medium flame. To make next roti , take another cold greased tawa and pat on them . The 1 st tawa can be re used after cooling it . So you keep rotating tawas while making each roti in this method . Do not attempt to pat the dough on hot tawa as the dough does not spread well. So you keep changing the tawas to make rotis .How to cool tawa quickly ? refer NOTE No. 3
- Once you have patted rottis using method 1 or 2 ,cook them in medium heat.Pour some oil in the holes and all over the rotti.Cover and cook till it becomes slightly brown in colour. Then flip the roti and continue cooking for about a minute or so till the rotti becomes crispy.
- Masala Jowar Rotti is ready to be served. Serve it coconut chutney / pickle / chutney powder + yoghurt / chutney powder + butter . Enjoy them as your heart weekend breakfast / Snack / Dinner .
- Addition of warm water brings out stickiness in the dough , so that they hold together when patted to make rotis.
- Instead of adding grated cucumber you can add bottlegourd / carrot / dill leaves / spinach / beetroot / capsicum etc .
- Always grease the surface before patting the rotti also wet your hands with water in between the process .This helps you pat them evenly .
- How to cool tawa quickly ? Once the rotti on one tawa is cooked take it off from flame, remove the rotti.To reduce the temperature of tawa faster, keep the backside of the pan under running water for 1-2 mins.After about 2-3 mins, tawa is ready and you can pat next rotti.
- If you want you can add a handful of wheat flour / rice flour etc to make it multi grain .