Here comes a classic Karnataka delicacy,” Mavinakayi Gojju / Mavinakayi Menaskai ” , a mandatory dish in all functions across South Karnataka especially for Brahmins . English equivalent for this mouthwatering mavinakayi gojju could be ” Tangy Spicy little sweetish Karnataka style Raw mango Curry“. This dish is a real treat to all those who love the combination of Sweet ,Sour & Spice..Slurp !!! A great accompaniment with Roti /plain rice /dosa /Idly.
Basically Gojju / Menaskai is a curry with ground spices and some boiled or stir fried vegetables in it.Addition of sesame seeds almong with fenugreek seeds gives a nice distinguished aroma to this curry. Choice of veggies can vary and but the basic masala remains same , just a few small changes here and there thats it. For today Raw mango is the chosen one . Preparing manvinakayi gojju is very simple. End result would be a spicy tangy sweetish curry , an absolute delight to your taste buds. Do try this, im sure you l keep licking your fingers and make your plate clean…. Here you go …
MAVINAKAYI GOJJU ( MENASKAI) RECIPE / KARNATAKA STYLE RAW MANGO CURRY
- 2 medium size Raw mango, should be tangy
- 1/4 cup Jaggery, you can adjust as per preference
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1/4 cup tamarind water
For the masala
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp Black Gram Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Benagl gram / chana dal
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds /methi
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- 1.5 tsp Sesame seeds/ Til, Black / white
- 4-8 Red Chilli, as per your preference
- few Curry Leaves
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut Oil /Ghee/oil, ( Coconut oil preferred )
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- a small pinch Hing /Asafetida
- few Curry Leaves
- Cut raw mango into bite sized pieces .No need to peel the skin .
- Place diced raw mango in a pan with a cup of water , turmeric , little salt and jaggery .Cook till semi soft.
- Meanwhile in a small pan add few drops of oil.Add all the ingredients mentioned under masala except coconut and sesame.Roast them in medium low flame till red chillies becomes crisp and dal turns golden color.Add coconut to that and just saute it , may be for 1 min.Transfer all the ingredients to a mixer jar.
- Next,dry roast sesame seeds in the same pan till it turns golden. Add it to the mixer jar containing other roasted masala ingredients. Once its little cooled , add little water and make a very smooth paste.
- Add this ground paste to cooked raw mango mixture and mix well.Cook this in a medium flame till the gravy starts boiling.
- Reduce the flame to sim, add a *tbsb of raw coconut oil and allow it to boil for another 8-10 mins. Stir in between.Let the gravy thicken. *REFER NOTES
- Season with mustard,hing and curry leaves.Switch off .
- Serve Raw mango menaskai hot / warm with plain Rice / roti / dosa / Idli