Today I have a bowlful of simple ,healthy and comforting side dish .. that’s great to cool your body naturally in this summer . Come summer .. tambli made from various ingredients is a must in our home . Tambli is a very traditional Karnataka dish which our grannys have been making from many years . I have never found thamblis in any of the restaurants.Publishing simple,easy,home cooked vegetarian dishes serves the sole purpose of this blog.Thamblis are not spicy, greasy or heavy. Instead they are lite,mild,medicinal and soothing.For better understanding we can term tambli as medicated buttermilk / a type of raita / cold soup .You can prepare tambli with anything and most of them takes just 10 mins . Yes in 10 mins you have a bowlful of comforting food to cool your soul Each has its unique flavor and benefits. I had earlier shared Ginger tambli , doddapatre tambli , Brahmi tambli. Today it is ” Menthe Tambli ( Tambuli ) / Fenugreek Seeds Tambli ” . This fenugreek tambli is a great diabetic friendly dish too . So are you ready to make a note of this aromatic yummy menthe tambli recipe .. here you go :
MENTHE TAMBLI / FENUGREEK SEEDS TAMBLI
- 2 tsps Fenugreek seeds / Menthe
- 2 - 4 no Red Chilli
- 3 - 4 tbsps grated coconut
- 1 - 2 cups sour curd /buttermilk, (depending on the consistency prefered)
- 1/2 tsp Ghee
- to taste Salt
For Seasoning :
- 1 tsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- Few Curry Leaves
- Take a small kadai . Add ghee . Add methi seeds and broken red chillies to it . Fry till methi seeds turn brownish and aromatic. Once done transfer to a plate .
- Grind the roasted meti seeds along with grated coconut , salt and little curd .
- Make a very smooth paste . If required you can little water while grinding .
- Transfer the paste to a serving bowl . Add the remaining curd / butter milk . Mix well . Taste test and check the consistency . Its usually made little thin consistency .
- Finally prepare a tempering . Take ghee in the small kadai . once hot add mustard seeds . When they splutter add curry leaves and switch off. Pour this tempering on the menthe tambli . Give a gentle mix. That's it . Menthe tambli is ready to serve . Relish it with plain rice .
- Fry methi seeds in medium low flame to get best taste . If the flame is high they will get burnt.
- Use sour curd / buttermilk only . Else this dish will turn bitter. More the sour , tastier the dish turns out . The sourness of the curd breaks the bitterness of methi seeds.
- If you want , instead of ghee can use any cooking oil . But ghee makes this dish more yummy .