Today’s post is a very very healthy traditional North Karnataka recipe. Its typically called in Kannada as ” Menthe kadubu “. But I know many would find it difficult to connect to that name. When i was searching online as what its called in other parts of India, I discovered it to be very close to ” Dhokli “- a Gujarati cuisine. So let me name my today’s post as ” North Karnataka style Methi Dokhli “. Or to make it clearer I’ll say its a fusion of dhokli n Methi Muthiya. Fully Confused?? Ha Ha..don’t worry, the recipe is not at all confusing. I’ll share the authentic recipe for Dhokli n Muthiya some time, for now, let’s enjoy Menthe kadubu.
Menthe kadubu are basically steamed wheat flour dumplings which are tossed in a spicy fenugreek seasoning. Very easy to prepare and delicious too. A dish suited for all times of day, be it breakfast, snack or dinner. Apt for those on diet and diabetic friendly too.A complete dish… a good change from same old roti. Do try this, I’m sure you would love these healthy flavoured dumplings. Here goes the recipe…
For the dough
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Carom seeds /Ajwain / oma
- 1 tsp Kasoori methi (optional)
- 1 tsp Oil
- Salt - as per taste
To temper :
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Fenugreek Leaves /methi / leaves
- 1 onion
- 1 - 2 Green Chilli
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Jeera
- 1 Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 - 2 tbsp Oil
To prepare the dumplings
- To the wheat flour add salt,red chilli powder,ajwain,kasoori methi and oil.Mix.Slowly add water to the flour .Mix and knead well to form chapathi like consistency dough. Keep aside for 15 to 30 mins.
- Divide the dough into small balls.Roll each small balls vertically,cut them to very small pcs and press slightly to flatten them like coin .Refer picture which explains clearly.
- Steam cook these dumplings in a steamer or idli stand for about 15-20 mins.Observe that coins would have swollen in size after cooking.
- Take out the dumplings from the steamer ,separate each dumplings in case if few have got stuck to each other and allow them to cool a bit.Thats it.. Healthy methi wheat dumplings are ready to serve ..relish it hot hot !!Healthy Cooking !! Agree diet food need no longer be boring....
Tempering the dumplings:
- Chop onion ,green chilly and methi leaves.
- In a pan / kadai ,add 1-2 tbsp of oil ,season with mustard ,jeera and red chilli.When they crackle, add curry leaves,onion and green chilli.Saute for 2-3 mins
- When onion turns translucent, add methi leaves,haldi and little salt.Additional of salt to helps in cooking methi faster n also reduces bitterness.Saute for abt 5-6 mins , till the methi leaves gets cooked.
- Now add steamed wheat dumplings to the methi mixture.Add remaining salt,red chilli powder.Mix well .Keep the flame on low and saute for 3-5 mins.Let the dumplings take in all the masala and outer layer get roasted a bit.
- Thats it.. Healthy methi wheat dumplings are ready to serve ..relish it hot hot !!
- Don't make the wheat coins too big n thick.They l not taste good.Also too thin will make it bit hard.
- If using fresh methi leaves, use only leaves. Discard stem .In case fresh methi leaves are not available you can use dry methi / kasoori methi too.they taste equally good.
- Instead of methi leaves you can use dill leaves (sabsige soppu) / drumsticks leaves .
- While seasoning you can also add chopped garlic / hing / white til for additional flavour.