MILLET PULAO RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PICS | HOW TO DO MILLET PULAO | FOXTAIL MILLET PULAO RECIPE
MILLET PULAO – a healthy, delicious and a fulfilling dish that one can make for breakfast or lunch or dinner. It’s low on calories and high on nutrition. Easy to make and tasty to taste. Addition of veggies makes it colourful, more nutritious and yummier. Since everyone loves pulao in my home, there was no fuss in accepting millet pulao.. even from the kids .
Millets are an absolute weight watchers delight and diabetic friendly too. These days more and more people are getting health conscious and including millets in their diet. I have shared a couple of millets recipes here earlier .. today let’s see another great dish from millets . This millets pulao is very easy and anyone can make. The choice of millets is your choice .. ie from foxtail millet / little millet / Barnyard millet etc … Though the recipe for any millet pulao is same .. taste and water proportion varies a bit. Today i did using foxtail millet . Fox tail millet is known as Thinai in tamil, Navane in Kannada, korralu in telugu,Thina in Malayalam . So if you are trying to incorporate millets in your diet .. go ahead .
MILLET PULAO RECIPE
- 1 Cup Foxtail millet / Navane/ any millet
- 2 cup Hot Water
- 1 big sized onion Sliced
- 2 nos Green Chilli Slit
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 medium size tomato
- 1 cup Mixed veggies beans , carrot , peas, corn etc
- few Soya chunks soaked ( drained )
- 1 tsp Coriander powder / Dhania powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder / biryani masala
- Handful mint leaves Chopped
- few sprig Coriander leaves Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 no Bay leaf / tejpatta
- 3-4 nos Cloves/ Lavang
- 1-2 small piece Cinnamon stick /dalchini
- 1-2 nos Cardamon Elaichi
- little Nutmeg optional
- 1 tsp Jeera / Cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds saunf
- 2-3 tbsp Oil / ghee / oil + ghee mix
- Rinse foxtail millet or any other millet and soak in water for 30- 45 mins. Drain water and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker .. Heat oil + ghee mix. Add tsp of Jeera, saunf, bay leaf, all whole spices like clove, cinnamon, elaichi, nutmeg. Later add onion slices, slit green chilli, ginger - garlic paste .. saute till Onion is translucent.
- Add tomatoes and salt. saute till mushy.
- Later add choice of veggies like Beans, carrot, peas, corn etc . I added a few soaked soya chunks to make it more healthy. Add haldi and saute 1-2 mins.
- In goes a tsp of Dhania powder, Chilli powder and Garam masala powder / Biryani Masala. Saute 1-2 mins .
- Add soaked, drained millets. Add salt to taste and saute 1-2 mins.
- Add hot water... 1: 2 proportion. Add chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves. Mix . Close the lid. Pressure cook for 2 whistles on low flame.
- Once pressure releases, open the cooker and fluff the grains.
- Millet Pulao is ready to relish. Enjoy it hot with choice of raita.