Mooli Bhurji / Mooli Bhujia is a popular Punjabi / North Indian side dish made using fresh tender radish leaves that’s available usually during winters….This radish leaves subzi / mooli bhurji is simple .. healthy , nutritious and perfect for a healthy weekday meal. Pair it with some phulkas / Rice and you are all set !!!
These days in Bangalore .. few vegetable vendors sell fresh tender radish. The sight of that fresh veggie would prompt anyone to buy it . Though i knew we can make variety of dishes from the radish greens … i had never tried them until recently . I would make some dal / parathas mixing the greens with something else. The radish leaves have strong pungent flavor.. so i hadnt attempted to make any dish using just them . But few days back … one of my friend in a watsapp group said she loves mooli bhujia and always make them using these winter greens. I quickly asked her the recipe and made sure that i too would try them soon . ” Hmm .. not bad ” was the comment that i got from the family in the first attempt . This was enough for me to add these mooli bhujia to my book so that i can make them whenever i get fresh radish leaves and serve my family a healthy side dish . You too give a try sometime and hope you like it ….here is the recipe …
MOOLI KE PATTON KI BHUJIA / MOOLI BHRUJI RECIPE - RADISH LEAVES SABZI
- 1 cup white radish Chopped
- 3 cups Radish leaves Chopped
- 4 nos Green Chillies
- 2 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Ajwain seeds / carom seeds
- a pinch Asafoetida/ hing
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Haldi
- 1/2 tsp Aamchoor / Dry Mango Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Powder/ Jeera powder
- Salt to taste
- Wash radish and its leaves. Scrap and finely chop the radish. Chop fresh leaves too.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add carom seeds, asafoetida, turmeric and green chillies.
- Next add the chopped radish and the green leaves. Add some salt and saute. Continue cooking on medium flame stirring in between.
- After some time you will observe that the veggies have started leaving water. Continue stirring the vegetables till they are cooked and water has evaporated .
- Finally, add jeera powder , garam masala and amchur powder, mix and switch off the stove.
- Serve Mooli Bhurji along with phulkas / rice .
- Always use tender fresh radish greens only .
- Once its cooked .... leaves will wilt .. so the quantity will be less .