Paratha is a yummy shallow fried stuffed Indian bread hailing from Northern parts of India especially from Punjab.Cooked with different fillings depending on preference and availability of ingredients, these Parathas are one whole meal by itself. They are an excellent and quick option for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Paratha dripping with Desi Ghee and a big glass of refreshing Lassi is common breakfast item in Punjabi household.They do not need any side dish, just some plain curd and pickle is enough. Parathas taste good throughout the year but they are magical during the winters.Every paratha has its own distinct taste and this time I made these delicious “ Mooli /Radish Parathas“. Though bit time consuming but tastes amazing.Making mooli paratha could be slightly tricky since the water content in radish is very high.There is a high probability of water oozing out from parathas when rolling them,making the whole process messy, if not done properly.Though few have mastered the art of doing these parathas with raw radishes, to be on the safer side i prefer doing it with sauteed radishes.It saves me from having a mess when it comes to assembling the paratha. Sauteing radish helps in reducing the water content from it and in the end we have a dry filling with us.This method also helps in reducing raw smell of radish,good for people who don’t like radish smell.The flavor of radish along with the spices…will take it to a whole new level!!
Go ahead and do make these parathas for a truly satisfying meal they are sure to win everyone’s heart and have at least one paratha with ghee or butter slathered over it for one of the ultimate taste experiences.Hot mooli parathas, served straight off the tawa, with a dollop of butter and with some homemade curd…bliss !! Try it..Here’s The recipe…
- 1 1/2 cups Atta /Wheat Flour
- Salt, - little
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 cup radish, ,grated tightly packed
- 1 onion, small ,Finely chopped
- 2 Green Chilli, ,Finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Ginger, ,grated
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala, powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dry Mango Powder / Amchoor powder
- 1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves, ,chopped
- Salt, -as reqd
- 1 - 2 tsps Oil/ Ghee
To prepare stuffing :
- Peel and grate the radish . Add chopped onion and salt to it. Mix well and set aside for some time ( say 5-15 mins)
- After abt 10 mins,radish would have left water.Now squeeze the excess water from the radish mixture thoroughly .Repeat the squeezing step 2 times.Reserve the water to knead the dough .
- Heat a pan with oil and splutter jeera .Now add green chilli,ginger,haldi and saute for 1-2 mins.
- Next add squeezed radish and fry for1-2 mins.
- After 1-2 mins ,add garam masala,amchoor powder,red chilli powder and salt.Mix well and saute till it becomes dry say for 5-7mins.Finally add chopped coriander leaves.Transfer to a plate and allow to cool completely .Stuffing for paratha is ready.
To prepare Dough :
- In a wide mixing bowl take wheat flour, salt and ghee. Mix it with your fingers ,then add little by little the water reserved from radish, gather to form a soft pliable dough.Knead it well. If required add little normal water.The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non sticky at this stage.Allow it to rest covered for atleast 20mins.
To prepare Parathas:
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough.
- To dust use maida /wheat flour and roll them to thick small circles.Thick at center, thin at edges.
- Keep 2 teaspoons of stuffing in the center, seal it up nicely by pulling all the edges to the center as shown in the pic.Repeat the same with all the dough and stuffing.
- With the help of dry flour, roll the parathas into thick or thin discs as per your preference .
- Heat a griddle, transfer the paratha on to griddle carefully and cook them on both sides by drizzling oil/ghee/butter.cook till both the sides has golden spots
- Soft,delicious,hot radish parathas are ready to serve.
- Enjoy them hot with pickle and / plain curd / raita ...
- Make sure the veggie is dry and cool before stuffing, else it will let out water and rolling will be difficult.
- For additional flavoring you can use little dhania and jeera powder (coriander n cumin powder).
- Keeping the inner stuffing ball little smaller helps in easier rolling.
- While rolling for the first time dont give more pressure in the center as the filling is going to be placed in the center.Roll very gently and dust the flour as reqd.Centre be little thick and edges little thin.
- If you are not too confident managing with the stuffed version , just mixing the stuffing with wheat flour while preparing the dough and roll it as you do for roti /chapathi.
- Below is a comparatively easier method for beginners, to make mess free parathas.
- make small equal sized balls from dough. Roll out small round rotis from it.