Today i have for you all a classic Coastal Karnataka dish that’s Brined Raw Mango Raita / Mavinakayi mosaru gojju . It’s a simple accompaniment made with raw mango and yogurt .. which tastes absolutely lip smacking with rice . ..
As we all know Mangoes are seasonal which goes out of sight after summer. In olden days, during the rainy season, especially in rural coastal areas, people had very less access to vegetables. So they would preserve many seasonal things like raw mango, jackfruit, hog plum etc in saltwater and use them during the rainy season by preparing various dishes out of it. Though now we have everything available throughout the year, the age-old custom of preservation in Brine is still followed by few.
Brined raw mango is one of my ever favourite. My mom prepares it every year and gives few to me to use them in offseason. Basically , firm, matured un-ripened mango is preserved in boiled salt water stored in an airtight glass jar/porcelain jar. As they are preserved in brine, they last for a very long time.
Since now its Mango season, one can make this Brined raw mango raita using fresh ones. It will be spicy and tangy. Addition of onion and garlic adds a zing. Do try and I am sure you will love it .. and end up overeating :). Remember not to skip coconut oil .. which makes it tastier!!
NEERU MAVINAKAYI MOSARU GOJJU / RAW MANGO RAITA
- 1 no Raw mango
- 1 cup Fresh curd
- 3-4 nos Green Chilli as required
- salt as required
- 1 medium size onion Finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 4-5 flakes Garlic chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- 1-2 nos broken Red Chilli / Curd Chilli
- 1/4 tsp A big pinch of asafoetida / hing
- Make 1-2 slit in the raw mangoes and pressure cook or directly cook with little salt till its soft .
- When its cool , mash the raw mango nicely with your hand in curd . After taking out the pulp nicely , discard the skin . You can retain the seed .
- Add salt , finely chopped onions and green chilli .
- Now prepare a tempering of mustard seeds spluttered in coconut oil . Add curry leaves , curd chilli and hing . Pour the tempering on the curd gojju . Mix
- Relish raw mango raita or mavinakayi mosaru gojju with rice . Drizzle with few more drops of coconut oil on rice while serving for extra taste .
- Don't use sour curd for this dish as raw mango will already be tart .
- If you want you can skip garlic and onion . But it enhances taste .
- Method to make brine mango : Wash 1 kg raw firm mangoes and pat them dry using a dry kitchen cloth, Keep aside.Combine around 1 cup salt with 3 cups of water in a pan and bring to a boil.Allow the salt water to cool completely. Add the raw mangoes to it. The raw mangoes should be immersed in water completely . Bottle them in a sterilised glass jar/ porcelain jar covered with a light lid.The mangoes will be ready to use in few days.