Hot Stuffed Parathas, served straight off the tawa, with a dollop of butter,North Indian style pickle and some homemade curd…bliss !! A perfect weekend breakfast for me. I often make different type of parathas and the best part is every paratha has its own distinct taste . As of now i have shared with you all mooli paratha and gobi paratha and today it’s these delicious ” Onion Paratha or Pyaaz Ka Paratha ” .The flavor of onion along with the spices…will take these parathas to a whole new level!! Go ahead and try these Onion Parathas.. they are sure to win everyone’s heart..
My father -in -law doesn’t eat potatoes. So whenever i make aloo (potato) paratha, i make some other stuffed paratha too. Onion is something every Indian kitchen would have always. So if no other suitable veggies are there , onion paratha is like life saver.
In the authentic way raw onions are mixed with spices and salt and later stuffed and rolled.Making onion paratha this way could be slightly tricky since the water content in onion is little high.There is a high probability of water oozing out from parathas when rolling them,making the whole process messy, if not done properly.Though few have mastered the art of doing these parathas with raw onions, to be on the safer side i prefer doing it with sauteed onions.It saves me from having a mess when it comes to assembling the paratha.Sauteing onion helps in reducing the water content from it and in the end we have a dry filling with us.This method also helps in reducing raw smell of onion,good for people who don’t like onion smell.You can try both the authentic as well beginners method and see which best suits for you.
For The chapathi dough:
- 1 1/2 cup Wheat flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- as required Water
- Wheat flour maida, for dusting
- 1 tsp Oil
For the Stuffing :
- 3 big onion, finely chopped or grated
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Jeera
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander/ Dhania powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin /Jeera powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Aamchoor / Dry Mango Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala powder
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- to taste Salt
- Coriander leaves, - chopped
- 2 tsp Oil
To prepare Dough :
- In a wide mixing bowl take wheat flour, salt and ghee. Mix it with your fingers ,then add little by little water, gather to form a soft pliable dough.Knead it well.The dough should not be too tight or too loose, it should be non sticky at this stage.Allow it to rest covered for at least 30mins.
To prepare stuffing :
- Finely chop or grate onion .
- Heat oil in a pan and add jeera. Once they splutter add the chopped onion and green chilli.Saute for 3-5 mins till the raw smell leaves and moisture evaporates. No need to cook onion completely.You can add little salt to fasten the process.
- Later add all the spice powder ie,salt,red chilli powder,turmeric,dhania jeera powder,garam masala and aamchoor powder. Mix well. Saute for 1 min.
- Finally add some chopped coriander leaves ,mix and the onion stuffing is ready . Allow to cool.
To prepare Parathas:
- Make equal sized balls out of the dough.
- To dust use maida /wheat flour and roll them to thick small circles.Thick at center, thin at edges.Kee p 1-2tbsp of stuffing in the center, seal it up nicely by pulling all the edges to the center as shown in the pic.Repeat the same with all the dough and stuffing.
- With the help of dry flour, roll the parathas into thick or thin discs as per your preference .
- Heat a griddle, transfer the paratha on to griddle carefully and cook them on both sides by drizzling oil/ghee/butter.cook till both the sides has golden spots
- Soft,delicious,hot Onion parathas are ready to serve.Enjoy them hot with pickle and / plain curd / raita ...
- You can make this parathas without cooking the onions too. Just mix the chopped onion, green chilli,dhania jeera powder,haldi,chilli powder, garam masala,aamchoor powder,salt and coriander leaves together and take a tablespoon of mixture inside the rolled disc of paratha and spread and cook them. This is the authentic way.
- It is important that always the stuffing for parathas should be dry. Also the stuffing has to come to room temperature before filling. Else liquid will ooze out while rolling
- Keeping the inner stuffing ball little smaller helps in easier rolling.
- While rolling for the first time don't give more pressure in the center as the filling is going to be placed in the center.Roll very gently and dust the flour as reqd.Centre be little thick and edges little thin.
- If you are a beginner, start preparing parathas with little quantity of filling and gradually increase the stuffing.
- If you are not too confident managing with the stuffed version , just mixing the stuffing with wheat flour while preparing the dough and roll it as you do for roti /chapathi.
- Below is a comparatively easier method for beginners, to make mess free parathas.