0PANEER GHEE ROAST RECIPE | HOW TO DO PANEER GHEE ROAST WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS
Today I have for you all a dish that’s close to my heart, a dish native to my region … Coastal Karnataka !!! Paneer Ghee Roast is a very popular Mangalorean dish and is an absolute delight to eat.
Pair it with Neer Dosa or Appam and it makes for an awesome meal. You can also enjoy it as a snack ..make it like dry snack or little curry consistency type .. the choice is all your’s !!
The ghee roast actually originated in a small town called Kundapur near Mangalore. The ghee flavoured fiery red, spicy, tangy dish soon became very popular and travelled places. The original version was actually made using chicken /fish/prawns etc .. and eventually, the Veg version too emerged which I will be sharing today. This Paneer Ghee roast is vegetarians delight !! The com
The basic masala for all versions remains the same and the authentic version is actually very spicy. With the combination of ghee, the chillies get balanced nicely .Paneer ghee roast can be made in the dry form to serve as an appetizer or in the gravy form to serve as a main dish.
Few points to consider while making Paneer ghee Roast Recipe :
- You can use tofu or mushroom for a vegan version.
- do not skip ghee. Without it, this dish won’t taste the same.
- The colour of the paneer roast depends on the chilli used. For a deeper colour, use byadgi or Kashmiri chillis
So, are you ready to make this classic Paneer Ghee Roast .. here you go
PANEER GHEE ROAST RECIPE / MANGALORE STYLE PANEER GHEE ROAST
Masala ( to roast and grind )
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds / Dhania
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds /methi
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 5-6 no Kashmiri red chillies / byadgi chilli
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Tamarind
- 200 gm paneer
- 4-5 tbsp curd
- 1/2 tsp Haldi / Turmeric
- 3-4 tbsp Ghee
- 1 medium size Onion, Finely Chopped
- few Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
Prepare paneer :
- To begin with, making paneer ghee roast .. first, we will be preparing paneer. Dice paneer to bite-size pieces and place them in warm water till ready to use. This helps in giving a nice soft texture to paneer.
Prepare Masala :
- Next, we will be preparing the aromatic fiery masala for the ghee roast. This is the base masala and will be same for any versions of ghee roast you plan to make.In a Kadai, heat a tsp ghee. Add all the spices one by one ie coriander seeds, cumin, methi, pepper and chilli. Note that we will be using Byadgi chillies / Kashmiri chillies only as it gives nice deep red colour. On low flame roast nicely.
- Once Chillies are crisp and spices are aromatic, add garlic, mix and switch off. Allow to cool.
- Transfer the roasted spices to a small mixer jar, add salt and tamarind. Add very little water and grind smooth. Take care not to add much water.
Prepare Mariantion :
- Take a big mixing bowl. Drain paneer cubes and transfer to mixing bowl. Add 4-5 tbsp curd, masala paste and haldi.
- Mix gently such that all the marination gets coated nicely to paneer cubes. Take care not to break paneer while mixing.
- Keep aside paneer cubes for marination for about 30 - 45 mins. If you are keeping the marinated mix for a longer time .. keep in the fridge . Else it will get sour.
Time to prepare Paneer Ghee Roast
- Take a Kadai, heat ghee. Splutter Curry leaves. Don't skip ghee for this dish .. as it's what makes the dish delectable.
- Now add finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Once onion is translucent, add marinated paneer cubes. Also, scrape and add all the masala sticking to the bowl. If you like add 1/2 tsp jaggery ... just to give that authentic coastal Karnataka touch.Mix well
- Simmer and cook for about 5-6 mins till masala coats the paneer and ghee start oozing. Do not overcook the paneer. It will become dense and hard
- Lastly, garnish with curry leaves and squeeze a dash of lime.
- Enjoy Mangalore special Paneer Ghee roast hot with neer dosa / chapathi / aapam/ rice / as a starter.
If you need any more paneer recipes you can check