Here I’m today with a dish – Bitter Gourd Kichadi / Bitter Gourd Pachadi / Pavakka Pachadi made from one of the most hated Veggie Bitter Gourd . The bitter gourd haters may feel shocked to know I infact love Bitter gourd in any avatar . Before bitter gourd haters run away seeing today’s post Bitter Gourd Pachadi, i tell you this Pavvakka Pachadi is worth a try. Its easy , simple and one of the common dish in Onam Sadya .
Pavakka Pachadi is a very easy comforting side dish from Kerala cuisine. It’s made with bitter gourd, coconut and curd as main ingredients. It tastes great with rice. The initial prep, sauteing and curd helps in reducing the bitterness to a great extent, making the Bitter gourd pachadi really tasty. Actually .. in the authentic version , the bitter gourd pieces are deep fried … but i like to shallow fry them in coconut oil till they are crisp .. this helps in reducing the bitterness and also gives pachadi nice flavor . Since Bitter gourd is very good for health .. i make many dishes from it.. have already shared bitter gourd chutney , bitter gourd gojju etc.. today it’s Kerala special Bitter Gourd Pachadi . Here you go…
PAVAKKA PACHADI / BITTERGOURD KICHADI RECIPE
- 3 medium size Bitter Gourd / Karela), chopped
- 1 medium size onion, chopped
- 1 cup Yoghurt / Butter Milk
- a pinch Turmeric Haldi
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 Green Chillies
For the Seasoning
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil,
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 broken Dry Red Chilli
- few Curry Leaves
- To begin the preparation of Pavakka Pachadi, first wash the bitter gourd, cut it lengthwise and remove all seeds. Chop it to small pieces.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of turmeric powder to bitter gourd slices and mix well. Keep it aside for 30 to 40 mins. Bitter Gourd would have left some water. Discard it. Again sprinkle little water, mix and squeeze the bitter gourd slices with your hand. This helps to reduce the bitterness of bitter gourd. However this step is purely optional . If you feel , you are loosing nutrients... you can skip it ..
- Heat oil in a pan, add chopped bitter gourd and saute. Keep sauteing in low medium flame.
- When the bitter gourd is 75 % done, add chopped onions and saute .
- Meanwhile, prepare the masala. Grind coconut, mustard, green chillies and salt to a smooth water adding little water. Make a smooth paste
- When the bitter gourd and onions are done, add the ground paste to the roasted veggies, add curd or buttermilk . Give a mix and allow it to gently boil on a low medium flame. Switch off.
- Prepare a tempering. Heat oil, add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add red chillies, curry leaves and pour it over the pachadi .
- Pavakka Pachadi is ready to be savoured!
- Coconut oil gives the authentic taste .