Pineapple Pachadi Recipe with step by step photos | Kerala Style Pineapple Pachadi video recipe
Pineapple Pachadi – a delicious lip smacking side dish from Kerala cuisine . Made with Pineapple, coconut, mustard seeds and curd , It’s sweetish, slightly tangy little spicy .. in short heavenly !! A Must for Onam and Vishu Sadya.
Check out Pineapple Pachadi Video here :
What is Pachadi ?
Pachadi is usually curd based mildly spiced side dish and one can say something like raita. There are so many varieties of Pachadi that one can make with choice of vegetables or fruits . Most of the pachdis are quick and simple and can be made within 10 mins. They are good for health , as they add coolness to body and adds instant refreshing element.
Among the various types pachadi , today i have for you all one of my most favorite , Pineapple pachadi . This pachadi is an integral part of most Onam sadya . In this , fresh coconut is ground along with few chillies , cumin seeds and mustard . This paste is later added to cooked juicy pineapple dices , simmered to a creamy curry and finished by whisking a ladle full of curd . Lastly a coconut oil tempering is added which takes the pachadi to a whole new level.
The tangyness , spiciness and sweetness when perfectly balanced , can make any one crave for pineapple pachadi. Sometimes , how a simple dish can taste so amazing !!!
How to do Pineapple Pachadi With step by step photos :
Finely chop Pineapple . Transfer to a kadai .
Add salt , jaggery , red chilli and haldi .
Add a cup of water , cover and cook for 4-5 mins.
Meanwhile prepare a masala . Add coconut , Jeera , mustard and green chilli to a mixer jar .
Add little water and grind to a very smooth . The masala paste should be really smooth for a creamy pachadi.
Once pineapple is cooked ( ie soft and mushy ) , add ground masala .
Mix well . If required add water to adjust consistency .
Keep on flame and bring to a boil such that raw smell of masala goes. Don’t over boil .
Switch off and add whisked curd . Mix well . Take care not to curdle curd .
Prepare a tempering . Heat Coconut oil . Once they splutter , add curry leaves and red chilli . Pour it over Pineapple pachadi .
Delicious Pineapple Pachadi is ready to serve . Relish with rice or as a side dish with anything,
Points to note while making Pineapple Pachadi
- Pick juicy fully ripe pineapple . Else they might be too sour for pachadi .
- Balance tangyness , spiciness and sweetness of the pachadi according to your taste . Ie if your pineapple is tangy , you may have to add little extra jaggery .
- Use fresh coconut only and grind them smooth for best creamy texture.
- Use fresh curd . Don’t use too tangy or old stock curd . Spoils the taste .
- Do not boil after adding curd . Curd may curdle and spoil the pachadi .
- Do not skip coconut oil tempering . This is what that gives authentic taste and takes the pachadi to a whole new level .
- Some people add shallots to pineapple pachadi . However i don’t prefer it and like the simple delicate pineapple flavor to be the hero of the dish .
- Consistency of the pachadi depends on your liking . Few make it medium & few like it thick . I prefer it medium consistency as it’s easy to mix with rice and tastes better . My personal liking , you can see how you like.
- 1 cup Pineapple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Curd
- 1 tsp Jaggery, can add or – based on your preferance
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Coconut
- 1 tsp Jeera
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 2-3 nos Green chilli
- 2-4 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard
- 1 no Red Chilli
- few Curry leaves
- Finely chop Pineapple . Transfer to a kadai .
- Add salt , jaggery , red chilli and haldi . Add a cup of water , cover and cook for 4-5 mins. Pineapple should be soft and mushy .
- Meanwhile , grind smooth. Coconut , cumin seeds , mustard and green chilli . Add little water while grinding.
- Transfer the ground masala to cooked pineapple. Mix well and add little water if required to adjust consistency .
- On medium flames , bring the pachadi to a light boil . Let the raw smell of masala go.
- Switch off . Add whisked curd and mix well . Take care that curd doesn't curdle .
- Prepare a tempering . Heat Coconut oil . Once they splutter , add curry leaves and red chilli . Pour it over Pineapple pachadi .
- Delicious Pineapple Pachadi is ready to serve . Relish with rice or as a side dish with anything,