PONGAL GOJJU RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO TAMARIND GOJJU FOR PONGAL | HULI GOJJU FOR PONGAL | HUNASE GOJJU – SIDE DISH FOR PONGAL
Pongal Gojju / Huli Gojju / Hunase gojju is a tangy, spicy, slightly sweetish tamarind curry that’s typically served with Pongal at Karnataka . One of the most lip smacking side dish that tastes amazing even with hot rice 😋 .In fact one can relish it with anything and cleanse your palate . If you haven’t tried it before …you have really missed something !!
The making of Huli Gojju is very easy and quick, hardly takes 5-10 mins to make and the best part is all the ingredients are easily available in kitchen. Though it is such a simple dish , it takes Pongal to a different level , a perfect match made in heaven.
Ingredients for Huli Gojju / Pongal Gojju :
- Tamarind – This is the hero of the dish .
- Jaggery – The tanginess from the tamarind is balanced by the addition of jaggery .
- Rasam Powder – Adds spiciness and flavour to the dish . You can check out the recipe for homemade rasam powder here
- Rice Flour – Rice flour slurry helps in giving good consistency to the Gojju .Makes gojju little thick.
- Oil – You can use choice of oil .
- Other tempering Ingredients – Onion / ginger / hing for flavor
How to make Pongal Gojju with step by step photos :
Soak a big lemon sized tamarind ball in water for about 30 mins. Extract its pulp. Keep this tamarind water aside.
Take a kadai or pan. Add oil .Temper it with mustard seeds.
Once they splutter add slit green chilli, hing and curry leaves.
Add finely chopped onions . Add salt, Saute Onion 2-3 mins let they turn translucent. Note Onion is optional and is used to enhance flavour . If you don’t want you can make plain or use little grated ginger for flavor )
Add tamarind extract,1 cup water
Add haldi, Rasam powder. Mix.
Keep the flame on sim . let it boil 4-5 mins
Dilute rice flour in water . Finally add it to the tamarind gojju and bring a boil. Rice flour slurry helps in giving good consistency to the Gojju .
Taste test .If required add some salt or jaggery. If its strong add some water.
That’s it spicy tangy tamarind pongal gojju is ready .
Tastes so good as a side dish with Pongal .
Few points to note while making Tamarind Gojju :
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 30 mins to extract maximum pulp .
- Do not skip jaggery . it helps in balancing the taste. However , quantity of jaggery used you can alter as per your liking .
- If you don’t have rasam powder , you can use chilli powder / little sambar powder / combination of both .
- Addition of onion is purely optional . I many times make it plain / few seeds of methi / with some grated ginger . Each version tastes equally good. Try and let me know which flavor you liked most 🙂
- Rice flour diluted in water when added to gojju gives nice consistency to the gojju .
Over to the recipe .. here you go !!
PONGAL GOJJU / TAMARIND GOJJU – SIDE DISH FOR PONGAL
- lemon sized Tamarind
- lemon sized Jaggery
- 1-2 tsp Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Rasam powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric / haldi
- Salt to taste
- 1 small Onion , Finely Chopped ( optional )
- 2-3 nos Green Chilli
- few Curry leaves / karibevu soppu
- 2-3 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard
- a pinch Hing / Asafoetida
- Soak a big lemon sized tamarind ball in water for about 30 mins. Extract its pulp. Keep this tamarind water aside.
- Take a kadai or pan. Add oil .Temper it with mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter add slit green chilli, hing and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped onions . Add salt, Saute Onion 2-3 mins let they turn translucent.
- Add tamarind extract,1 cup water, jaggery,haldi, Rasam powder. Mix.
- Keep the flame on sim . let it boil 4-5 mins
- Dilute rice flour in water . Finally add it to the tamarind gojju and bring a boil. Pongal gojju will thicken .
- Taste test .If required add some salt or jaggery. If its strong add some water.
- That's it spicy tangy tamarind pongal gojju is ready .