After i shared Poori yesterday, many people messaged me asking– ” Whats the yellow side dish peeping from the background of the picture ? Is it Potato Masala ? Can you please share the recipe ? ” Yes friends you guessed it right , it was indeed the famous … everybody’s favorite ” Potato masala / Potato Saagu ” . Though poori can be relished with many sides , for most ” Poori Masala ” remains to be the ultimate combo . They are also known as Bombay Saagu and i have absolutely no clue why it is called so . Any ways .. for all those who were asking for the recipe , here’s the creamy , yummy, easy and simple Potato Saagu … i can see many drooling there .. Hehe..
I make aloo sagu in 2-3 types and today’s recipe is one among them , restaurant style potato masala. I am sure you might have seen this saagu in hotels , commonly served with poori / rava idli / set dosa . Though its one of the common dishes in restaurants that doesn’t mean making them at home is tough .
For bachelors n beginners, this poori masala is like a blessing . There are little chances to err and the end result most of the time is finger licking .Yes friends its such a super easy aloo curry recipe that can be prepared in just 20 minutes . So are you ready to try ? Here you go….
POORI MASALA RECIPE
- 3 nos potato
- 2 big onion sliced
- 1 - 2 fistful green peas
- 3 - 5 nos Green Chillies
- small piece Ginger , finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Gram Flour Besan
- Salt & lemon as needed
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- 1 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Red Chilli -broken to pieces
- Pressure cook potatoes with little turmeric for 4-5 whistles till they are cooked .Once they are cool ,deskin ,mash and keep aside . you need not mash to paste . a few chunks here and there is fine .
- Heat oil in a kadai . Add mustard , urad dal and chana dal.
- Once they splutter add curry leaves and broken red chilli . Saute . Add green chilli , ginger and onion .
- Saute till onion turns transparent . Add green peas .( if fresh n tender add peas as such . else partially cook before and add )
- Add water and bring to boil .
- Meanwhile dilute besan in 1/4 cup water such that there are no lumps .Set aside.
- When water starts boiling add mashed potatoes and salt . Mix well . Cover and cook for 2-3 mins so that potatoes takes in flavor .
- Finally add besan diluted in water . Mix well . Keep the flame on sim . Bring to boil . You will see that the gravy will thicken and attain a nice consistency . If required add some more water . Taste test .
- Switch off. Squeeze lime and garnish with chopped coriander leaves .
- Thats it .. hot potato saagu is ready to enjoy . Serve it with poori / rava idli / set dosa / chapathi.