PUDINA POHA RECIPE | PUDINA POHA RECIPE WITH STEP BY STEP PHOTOS | HOW TO DO MINT POHA
Pudina Poha Recipe – a quick, spicy, flavorful and easy to make dish … that’s a perfect option to serve any time of the day. Pair it up with some raita.. a bowl of hot steaming Mint poha is all gone ..That’s how tasty it is. Hardly takes 15 mins to make. Sound’s interesting right?
Poha is one great lifesaver ingredient for mornings when you don’t have any dosa or idli batter in stock /whenever you have to fix something in a jiffy. At any given time, you can find poha stocked in my pantry as it can be flavoured many ways like Avalakki Pongal , Huli Avalakki , Gojju Avalakki , Avalakki Upkari etc and I love each of them.
For today the chosen one is Pudina Poha. The base masala of this is almost the same as Karnataka style Rice Bath . A bhaji kind of masala is made using Mint, few spices and later mixed with soaked drained poha.
As we know ,Rice bath is made from rice.But rice for breakfast is a big No no in my family , Rice is meant only for lunch..So in this recipe, I have substituted rice with poha and the best part is nobody can even make out its not rice.
Today’s Pudina Poha / Avalakki Pulao / Pudina Avalakki is one such variation. Perfect for breakfast / Dinner / Lunch box too.
Few things to note while making tomato poha are :
- Use thick poha only for best result . If you don’t get thick , medium is also ok but not thin variety.
- Don’t soak thick poha. Just wash well and drain. We will be sprinkling little water and cooking it for about 10 mins later. This way poha absorbs flavours well.
- One can use red poha or the white variety poha.
- One can add veggies or skip based on your preference and availability. You can add vegetables like mixed vegetables (carrot, beans, green peas,cauliflower etc. Can use just potato, peas or anything that you have handy. Everything tastes great.
- If you want can skip few spices mentioned like star anise, stone flower and other whole spices and make it simple with Pudina flavor as main.
So are you ready to make a note of this delicious Mint Poha .. here you go !!
Pudina poha / Mint Poha
- 3 cup Thick Beaten Rice / Thick Poha
- 1 Big Onion, Chopped
- 2 medium size Tomato, Chopped
- 1/2-1 cup Veggies ( peas , carrot ,cauliflower , capsicum etc ) , Optional
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric / Haldi
- Salt to taste
Masala to Grind
- small bunch Pudina / Mint leaves
- 1/2 small small Coriander leaves
- 1/2 medium size Onion
- 5-6 flakes Garlic
- 1-2 piece Ginger
- 5-8 nos Green Chilli, as required
- 2-3 nos Elaichi / Cardamom
- 1 piece Cinnamon / Dalchini
- 3-4 nos Cloves /Lavang
- small piece Stone flower / kallu hoovu, optional
- small piece Star anise / Ananas Hoovu
- tsp Coriander seeds / Dhania
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- 1-2 tsp Ghee
- 1 no Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds / Jeera
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds / Saunf
- Clean wash and drain water from thick Poha . Keep aside . Remember, don't soak thick poha.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned under masala ie Pudina,Coriander leaves,Onion, Garlic , Ginger ,Green chilli,Dhania ,Jeera ,Whole spice ie Cardamom,Cloves, Cinnamon, Star Anise, stone flower and salt to taste. Add water as required and squeeze lime ( helps to retain green color ) .Grind all these ingredients smooth.
- This is how our green masala will look after grinding. Keep the mixer jar open ,else the masala will get oxidised and color changes.If you taste , it should be spicy, salty and little tangy…ie strong.Once you mix with poha, it will get balanced .
- Take a kadai or pan. Add oil + ghee . Add bay leaf, jeera and saunf. Let they get aromatic.
- Add chopped Onion and saute till translucent.
- In goes Tomato . Saute till mushy.
- Add the veggies ( if you are using ) , salt and haldi. Saute 2-3 mins.
- Add ground masala. Combine everything and saute 2-3 mins. Let the raw flavor of masala go.
- Add the soaked , drained Poha. Mix everything well such that poha and masala gets combined well . Sprinkle around 1/4 cup water . Remember, if your masala has turned runny, skip adding extra water.
- Cover and cook poha for about 5-6 mins.
- Hot Pudina Poha is ready to relish !!