I know Diwali is just off the corner .. and many of you might be fighting that guilt of overindulgence / suffering from indigestion/craving for some simple comfort food after all those festive treats. So today I have for you all an easy peasy flavorful ” Pudina Rasam / Mint Leaves Rasam ” a great dish to tickle your taste buds and an excellent home remedy for indigestion vows. Also good for sore throat and cold. Relish piping hot pudina rasam with hot rice or sip it as a soup in a glass …whichever way you opt..you’l surely enjoy this flavorful refreshing rasam. It’s very flavourful and easy to make.
Few simple points to note while this Mint Rasam are as follows :
- Tomatoes and garlic are purely optional. Instead of garlic if you want you can add hing or make just plain if you want only mint flavour.
- if you want you can skip adding cooked tuvar dal and make it thinner.
- 1 Medium size bunch mint leaves /pudina leaves
- 1 small tomato (optional)
- 1.5 tbsps Split Toor Dal / pigeon pea
- small marble size Tamarind
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- to taste Salt
To Roast and Powder ( Masala )
- 1.5 tsps Toor Dal / split pigeon pea
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds Dhania
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 - 5 Red chilies ( depending on your pref )
- 1 tsp Oil/ Ghee
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 - 4 Garlic flakes ( optional )
- Curry Leaves - few
- Clean , wash and finely chop mint leaves .
- Finely chop tomatoes . Soak tamarind in warm water . Extract its pulp. .
- Wash the toor dal ,add turmeric and cook for 3 - 4 whistles with 2 cup of water. Mash the cooked dal and keep aside.
- Transfer chopped pudina and tomato ( optional ) into the cooking vessel . Add some water and keep to boil.Let the flame be medium .
- Meanwhile,add a tsp of oil to a small kadai and add all the ingredients mentioned under to roast and grind . Fry till dal gets golden brown and chillies are crisp .
- Once the spices comes to room temperature , powder them in a mixer .
- Once tomatoes are half cooked , add cooked dal , tamarind pulp , salt and powdered masala to it . Add water depending on your prefferred choice of consistency . Mix well .
- Allow the rasam to boil well on medium flame . taste test .
- Once the rasam gets boiled nicely , switch off . Prepare a tempering . Heat a tsp of ghee, add mustard seeds and garlic pieces.When mustard splutters and garlic turns light brown , add curry leaves and switch off. Pour it over the rasam.Garnish with pudina leaves if you want.
- Serve piping hot Pudina Rasam with hot steaming rice or sip it as a soup or as a yummy tonic for your indigestion / cold & cough.