Puffed Rice Upma with step by step photos | Mandakki Oggarne with step by step photos | Mandakki Susla
Mandakki Oggarne / puffed rice upma is one famous street food across North Karnataka and parts of Andhra Pradesh and is typically relished along with Mirchi bajji and kadak chai . As the name suggests , it’s made with soaked puffed rice, onions, peanuts, and curry leaves , they are Easy to make and yummy to taste.
Puffed rice is one handy snack and I usually stock them in my kitchen . I have shared before few recipes using puffed rice like puffed rice chiwda , puffed rice laddu , tomato slice and today it’s upma. One can enjoy them as a breakfast or snack or light dinner. I usually make it for weekend breakfast as they are quick to fix .
Puffed rice upma is also called mandakki oggarne or or mandakki usli / mandakki susla in Kannada, Pori upma in Tamil, Borugula Upma or uggani in Telugu, and Murmura Upma in North India. Though each region has slight different variation, the end result is always tasty. Addition of powder of roasted gram gives a nice special nutty taste .So don’t skip.
Few Points to note while making Puffed Rice Upma :
- Don’t over soak puffed rice for a longer duration and make it mushy. Squeeze out remove water nicely.
- You can add finely chopped veggies like carrot, beans capsicum etc to make it more healthy.
- The secret ingredient which gives an authentic taste to mandakki oggarne /susla is the addition of fried gram/putani powder / hurikadle. So dont skip it.
- Don’t use hollow variety / bhel variety puffed rice to make this dish .
PUFFED RICE UPMA / MANDAKKI OGGARNE / UGGANI / BORUGULA UPMA
- 8 cups Puffed Rice
- 4 tablespoon Roasted Chana Dal / hurikadle / Pottukadalai
- 1 big Onion, chopped
- 1 medium size Tomato , chopped
- 4-5 no Green Chillies, chopped
- few sprigs Coriander leaves / Dhania, chopped
- 1 Lemon
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder /Haldi
- Salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1 tsp Channa dal /bengal gram
- few Peanuts
- few Curry leaves
- Firstly ..powder roasted chana dal and keep aside .
- Fill water into a large vessel and pour puffed rice into it. Wash it well and immediately drain it out of water. Use both your palms to squeeze out excess water from puffed rice.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. When they turn brown add curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later, add onion and saute till they are translucent.
- Once they turn translucent, add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt and saute till they are mushy.
- Add puffed rice and mix well.
- Add powder fried gram, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix everything well and saute for 2-3 minutes so that they take in flavors.
- Enjoy Mandakki Oggarne / puffed rice upma hot . Typically in North Karnataka it's served along with Mirchi Bajji .