Mandakki Oggarne / puffed rice upma is one famous street food across North Karnataka and parts of Andhra Pradesh and is typically relished along with Mirchi bajji and kadak chai . As the name suggests ..it is a variety in Upma made from Puffed rice . Easy to make and yummy to taste, enjoy them as a breakfast or snack or light dinner. I usually make it for weekend breakfast as they are quick to fix ..as i usually have puffed rice in stock …
Puffed rice is one handy snack and my kids like it as snack . I have shared before few recipes using puffed rice like puffed rice chiwda , puffed rice laddu , tomato slice and today it’s puffed rice upma. Mandakki usli , puri usli , pori upma , uggani , borugula upma etc are the different names of puffed rice upma in different regions and each region has different recipes . Which ever way .. they all taste equally tasty . Addition of powder of roasted gram gives a special taste and addition of peanuts gives nice crunch . Do give a try and enjoy …
PUFFED RICE UPMA / MANDAKKI OGGARNE / UGGANI / BORUGULA UPMA
- 3 cups Puffed Rice
- 4 tablespoon Roasted Chana Dal (Pottukadalai)
- 1 Onion , chopped
- 1 Tomato , chopped
- 4 Green Chillies
- Coriander leaves (Dhania) , chopped
- 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder (Haldi)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon Urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon Urad dal
- , 1/2 tsp urad dal
- Raw Peanuts
- , few Curry leaves , few
- Firstly ..powder roasted chana dal and keep aside .
- Fill water into a large vessel and pour puffed rice into it. Wash it well and immediately drain it out of water. Use both your palms to squeeze out excess water from puffed rice.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. When it is hot, add mustard seeds. Add urad dal, chana dal and peanuts. When they turn brown add curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Later, add onion and saute till they are translucent.
- Once they turn translucent, add chopped tomatoes, turmeric and salt and saute till they are mushy.
- Add puffed rice and mix well.
- Add powder fried gram, chopped coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix everything well and saute for 2-3 minutes so that they take in flavors.
- Enjoy Mandakki Oggarne / puffed rice upma hot . Typically in North Karnataka it's served along with Mirchi Bajji .